• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E lop or Continental

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
does any one have a E lop or A continental ? what are your like is there ? is there any worries with the E lops ears ? would love to hear from you tell me any thing I might need to know, I understand every rabbits different but is there any common traits ?

I have English Lop X Rexes.

They have awful problems with their ears. The full Breed EL ears are even longer and often have problems both with external injuries to them as well as chronic infections within them.

They generally have a lovely nature but they are beset with health problems, heart disease, spinal problems as well as ear problems.

All Giant breeds have a shorter life expectancy than smaller Rabbits. They are prone to heart problems which can cause sudden death at a very young age. Sometimes before they reach 2. Again most Giant Breeds have friendly characters and they do make lovely Pets. Obviously they require very large accommodation, Either as a Free Range House Rabbit or outdoors in a very large shed/run set-up.

Thanks Jane, I did think that about the ears, also with going to the toilet as their ears will be in it, also I can see why the will be cause for concern perfect environment for much and dirt to get trapped,

Thanks Jane, I did think that about the ears, also with going to the toilet as their ears will be in it, also I can see why the will be cause for concern perfect environment for much and dirt to get trapped,

My brother had an english lop (he saw it in a garden centre in a rectangular tank that it could barely lie down in, he just couldnt leave it). He had terrible trouble with his ears, not only are they really high risk for infection but hed often stand on his ears with his back feet as he hopped and literally fall over himself. His nails always had to be kept very well trimmed (even the tiniest sharp bit on one nail of his back feet would result in cuts on his ears as he was constantly standing on them. To be perfectly honest i (and my brother) think its actually cruel to breed rabbits with ears like that - hope that does offend anyone but it is my opinion.

ETA - sorry for spelling - im using my phone

Last edited:
Back