• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girl and Boy fighting after boys neutering

Hi
My rabbits Daisy and Dougie are roughly 6 months old and have been living together ever since they were born (they are not siblings). We got the boy spayed and the girl is due to be neutered in a week or so's time. We had to separate them before he was spayed (for 2 days) but we did let them see each other when they went for a run. However, now the boy is neutered the girl keeps chasing and biting him. He tends to run away. I understand she may be pestering him for a mate but how can I stop this? They used to be very friendly with each other but now she won't do anything but bite him.
Any ideas?

Jane is right: if the girl has not been spayed yet and the boy has only just been neutered, she could well be pregnant.

She could be pregnant !!

This ^ - girl rabbits chase away others when pregnant, as they become very teritorial. Also he will still be fertile (sperm can survive in his "pipe work" for upto 6weeks after castration) and he'll still be hormonal too (again it can take 6 weeks for his hormones to die down).

Also, even if shes not pregnant, I think they may need rebonding and space neutralising again after a few days seperate. Plus its possible her hormones are kicking in, and with him still being fertile i'd keep seperate until shes neutered and had time for her hormones to settle.

Thank you for the advice, we have been very careful to avoid her getting pregnant but I will check with the vet in case. We have still kept them separate and will do until she's fully recovered from being spayed.

Thank you for the advice, we have been very careful to avoid her getting pregnant but I will check with the vet in case. We have still kept them separate and will do until she's fully recovered from being spayed.

If they were kept together prior to his neutering it would be impossible to make sure they did not mate - it takes seconds and the deed is done!

Good idea to take her to the vet to be checked and spayed - they can do an emergency spay if she is pregnant. The sooner you get her spayed the better, as they will both recover and be able to be back together whereas if they are separated for any length of time you may have to re-bond.

If you didn't reintroduce them on neutral territory this could be why the female is now chasing the male. She has assumed ownership of the territory as their bond broke down while he was being neutered.

As others have said there is a high chance she could be pregnant and as she is 6 months old she could be admitted for an immediate spay in case this is so.

After her spay you would then have to reintroduce them on completely neutral ground (where neither rabbit has been before) to re-establish the bond. This should take about a week before you can let them into their normal housing. The female needs to have a rest of at least 2 weeks post spay.

Back