• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneeze

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi my partner stayed at home today and said that Springfield sneezed once and some white mucus came out. .which he then ate.
He's been and is totally fine apart from that one sneeze so I'm reluctant to think it's snuffles.
Any ideas what it could be?
I only have my partners word for what it was like so can't describe anymore unfortunately.

Background info : both indoor rabbits with sawdust toilet and fresh Hay (same they've always had)

Thanks for any replies! !

Well I'd certainly keep a close eye to see if he does it again. If he doesn't, I'd say he's ok; Hector sneezes occasionally too.

It could be the wood shavings and/or dust. H used to sneeze when he had "dusted" behind the fire place for me!! He's now too big to get in so I don't need the barricades any more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm hoping it's just something irritated his nose. I do watch them closely anyway since they're indoors near to me but I'm going to keep an eye on him

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The mucus would worry me a bit. My Spenser sneezes quite often as he likes to get his nose right down to the bottom of his hay pile, but there has never been a discharge that I've noticed. It sounds as though you are keeping a close eye though.

Yeah it does worry me. More so because I didn't see it myself I think. If it happens again I'll take him to the vets just in case. Yes he sneezes when he rustles and pushes his nose into the hay too but never mucus before. I'm holding my fingers crossed that it's perhaps been a little blocked or something with dust or whatever else and the sneeze has dislodged it. Thinking if that's the case his body would've built up a little mucus to help it on its way out?

I know I'm being optimistic but until I see any mucus myself I'm hoping it's a one off!

Sorry for repeating myself

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Little very very occasionally sneezes and produces 'snot'. I think it's just when she gets some just up her nosey.

Back