• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vibes please! update not good news... :-(

Domino27

Mama Doe
My little girl Domino, who is 4, is off to the vets tomo for a GA to find out if she has any teeth problems. If not they're goi to do a blood test. She's lost quite a lot of weight over the past few days but is still woolfing down food like there's no tomorrow and still jumping around so have no idea what's wrong with her :-(

Last edited:
Well the vet called. No problems with her teeth. The bloods showed some abnormalities. Her liver enzyme count was 250=....should be below 75!!!! Vet thinks she has a tumour but can't be 100% sure off blood test. She only weighs 1.16 kg :-\ vet said if she wasn't so full of life and eating well she would suggest putting her to sleep.....at the moment she's on a course of antibiotics and steroids to see if that will help her put on weight and shrink any tumour.

Totally gutted, she's only 4

Well the vet called. No problems with her teeth. The bloods showed some abnormalities. Her liver enzyme count was 250=....should be below 75!!!! Vet thinks she has a tumour but can't be 100% sure off blood test. She only weighs 1.16 kg :-\ vet said if she wasn't so full of life and eating well she would suggest putting her to sleep.....at the moment she's on a course of antibiotics and steroids to see if that will help her put on weight and shrink any tumour.

Totally gutted, she's only 4

Is your vet rabbit savvy?

I'm a bit :shock: at it even being mentioned about putting her to sleep when she's full of life, I would have expected the talk to be about diagnostics long before PTS is even mentioned if she isn't behaving ill.

As previous post - has there been an x-ray?

Did the vet suggest liver tumour? I ask that as Rudy had a problem with his liver a few months ago and our vet (FHB) said that it is extremely rare for rabbits to get liver tumours (which is what a previous vet had initially believed was wrong with him).

Whatever's wrong, I hope she improves to full health.

Edit to add: We also had scary liver function results following loss of weight for Shadow but x-rays showed there was an abnormality with his liver as it was tiny. We didn't know the full extent of his problem at that time. His poor results and weight loss at that time were put down to *possibly* fighting virus. The results were normal 2 weeks later and he put weight back on.

Last edited:

I'm a bit :shock: at it even being mentioned about putting her to sleep when she's full of life, I would have expected the talk to be about diagnostics long before PTS is even mentioned if she isn't behaving ill.

As previous post - has there been an x-ray?

Did the vet suggest liver tumour? I ask that as Rudy had a problem with his liver a few months ago and our vet (FHB) said that it is extremely rare for rabbits to get liver tumours (which is what a previous vet had initially believed was wrong with him).

Whatever's wrong, I hope she improves to full health.

Edit to add: We also had scary liver function results following loss of weight for Shadow but x-rays showed there was an abnormality with his liver as it was tiny. We didn't know the full extent of his problem at that time. His poor results and weight loss at that time were put down to *possibly* fighting virus. The results were normal 2 weeks later and he put weight back on.

My vets aren't savvy so to speak but they have been pretty good. They took her in straight away and checked her out. They only suggested PTS if she was really ill, not eating etc. They aren't suggesting they do that now at all. She did mention something about a tumour but no x rays have been done yet. She's seeing her again in a week's time to see how she is etc and if putting any weight on. I will suggest that when I go back in if still no good.
She's never had panacur before to reply to someone's post!

Thanks for your post, quote relieved to hear tumours are rare and may just be an infection! See how the antibiotics and steriods go....!!!

I would second this, appreciate that you have your own vets but findings a rabbit savvy one is invaluable. I have a wonderful exotics vet who treats my animals so well. Thankfully not been in the situation with my rabbits but with my rats they will do everything to treat, and when there was no cure for a particular aggressive type of tumour in one my rats they helped so much to ensure that quality of life was good until a decision had to be made.

I don't think I have ever had a vet tell me I need to put an animal to sleep, the always talk you through all possible scenarios.

Quite long winded post to get to my point but I really cannot recommend seeing a knowledgeable vet highly enough.

For the record, my vet is Marie Kubiak at Manor Vets, Egbaston. Toby Trimble there is also great.

Sending you lots and lots of vibes for your little one

I would second this, appreciate that you have your own vets but findings a rabbit savvy one is invaluable. I have a wonderful exotics vet who treats my animals so well. Thankfully not been in the situation with my rabbits but with my rats they will do everything to treat, and when there was no cure for a particular aggressive type of tumour in one my rats they helped so much to ensure that quality of life was good until a decision had to be made.

I don't think I have ever had a vet tell me I need to put an animal to sleep, the always talk you through all possible scenarios.

Quite long winded post to get to my point but I really cannot recommend seeing a knowledgeable vet highly enough.

For the record, my vet is Marie Kubiak at Manor Vets, Egbaston. Toby Trimble there is also great.

Sending you lots and lots of vibes for your little one

Yep totally agree. Just to note again though she didn't say or advise to out her to sleep at all, she was saying it if the situation was much worse. She was not saying to do this at all at this stage. They've done a lot for my bun, given jabs and x rays and everything so they're not too bad at all.

Ahh sorry, I think I'm one of those people that jump at the 'bad' parts of everything I read!

Not sure if I'm on the right track here, maybe someone more knowledgeable could comment but I was re-reading this presentation http://www.manorvets.co.uk/ckfinder/userfiles/files/dental dz(1).pdf

If you have a look at slide 38 the abscess looks similar to the one of your lovely little one. Not sure if they did a proper dental on him and if there could be a more concerning underlying issue?

I applaud you taking him in from a family member, I've been in the same situation and rehomed two from a family member as she was unable to look after the bunnies. I took them to the vets this week for vaccines and there is potentially a dental issue with one of them so completely know how you feel.

Back