• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO all foragers

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I know this sounds like diet but it's an appeal for rescues, because many of us don't look on the diet forum once we're proficient.
Some of the rescues eg Tuckerbunny are very interested in forage for their buns. There is NO way with the number of buns involved they can possibly collect their own forage, let alone all the work entailed in taking new rabbits, medication, rehoming,& bonding.

I wonder whether we can help here? Many of us have gardens strawberry plants, raspberries etc. Brambles are everywhere, as is hawthorn, & there's certainly plenty on my area.
Maybe you're just taking a trip in the countryside. Whatever.

Howabout we just collect & prepare a little extra & post it to our preferred rescue to give the buns a treat? Postage may be more costly now but the leaves weigh very little so it's not so bad.

I just thought that it's a way those of us who can't manage a regular or significant donation can help them alot. I know we can't get going until the forage comes back next spring.
What do you think?

That's a great idea Judy. I have been lucky enough to receive some forage. It can be so useful for Rabbits who for one reason or another are not doing too well.

I'd be happy to do that! I always like feeding my guys forage as it just seems so much more natural for them than veg, plus twigs ect are so good for teethies and many of the leaves are good for teethies and tummies. It would be lovely to be able to share that with buns who often have had nothing but meusli :(

Thank you Hele. I'm sure that even a little could make a big difference. I thought how a handful a day builds up to 1/2 crateful in a month.
I was thinking of many things.
So many people have noticed how their rabbits come into lovely coat condition with some forage - sleek glossy coats.
Also the rabbits like it so much (mine doesn't bother with his pellets in summer) I wondered whether it could help the badly bused rabbits to overcome their fear of humans, as well as the health benefits from simple diet.

I was also mindful of the tremendous input from the rescues to start up this forum. It might be a nice, & helpful way of saying "thank you".

Sorry to invade but I might sound like a total noob but what is forage... what can I collect, I have raspberry bushes in my back garden be a bit dead at the moment but I can start pruning them...

help please

Forage is 'wild food' for bunnies, more like the stuff they'd eat in the wild.

_thumps is somewhat of an expert on it!

:wave:

What a lovely idea! :D

I wonder if they'd like some willow too, there are loads of weeping willow trees near work and I used to collect loads for Smoo as they have natural painkilling effects. She loved willow. :love:

Ima going to get me some forage on my lunch break :D

Sorry to invade but I might sound like a total noob but what is forage... what can I collect, I have raspberry bushes in my back garden be a bit dead at the moment but I can start pruning them...

help please

I'm glad you asked.:D
Yes. it's basically giving our rabbits some of the wild foods that wild rabbits eat.
Some wild plants have been cultivated eg raspberry, blackberry/bramble, strawberry. The wild rabbits eat the leaves & living raspberry canes.
When I was a child in the countryside, we all collected wild plants for our rabbits after school.
When my Thumper had serious gut problems that the vet couldn't treat, I tried forage as a last resort. He lived for a further 4 1/2 years:shock:

A few RUers who do this got together on a very long thread I call "All you need to know about foraging but in no particular order" :lol:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ds-of-herbs-for-winter!-2010-Forageing-Thread
It wasn't just me, it was a whole group of us, who I remember very fondly. We learned a lot from each other too.

There was the problem of safe plant ID for complete beginners, so on RU we only recommend plants which are easy to ID & if people should make a mistake, they can't feed a poisonous plant by accident.
Some photos of common forage plants & seriously poisonous plants can be seen on.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303114-Plant-Images but this is far from complete. (all the soil round me for miles is very chalky so only certain plants grow here.)

Most of the forage plants have died back for winter, like your raspberries. But like gardening, winter is the time to plan for next year - where to start looking, how to dry it so bunny has food during winter, & findinbg out if you recognise some of these very common plants.

My own interest was whether we could reduce the severity & frequency of stasis in our rabbits by feeding more forage. A very early thread is here, it may give you some more ideas about what we're feeding.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves
I hope that helps & hasn't overwhelmed you. It's a big topic.

I'm glad you asked.:D
Yes. it's basically giving our rabbits some of the wild foods that wild rabbits eat.
Some wild plants have been cultivated eg raspberry, blackberry/bramble, strawberry. The wild rabbits eat the leaves & living raspberry canes.
When I was a child in the countryside, we all collected wild plants for our rabbits after school.
When my Thumper had serious gut problems that the vet couldn't treat, I tried forage as a last resort. He lived for a further 4 1/2 years:shock:

A few RUers who do this got together on a very long thread I call "All you need to know about foraging but in no particular order" :lol:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ds-of-herbs-for-winter!-2010-Forageing-Thread
It wasn't just me, it was a whole group of us, who I remember very fondly. We learned a lot from each other too.

There was the problem of safe plant ID for complete beginners, so on RU we only recommend plants which are easy to ID & if people should make a mistake, they can't feed a poisonous plant by accident.
Some photos of common forage plants & seriously poisonous plants can be seen on.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?303114-Plant-Images but this is far from complete. (all the soil round me for miles is very chalky so only certain plants grow here.)

Most of the forage plants have died back for winter, like your raspberries. But like gardening, winter is the time to plan for next year - where to start looking, how to dry it so bunny has food during winter, & findinbg out if you recognise some of these very common plants.

My own interest was whether we could reduce the severity & frequency of stasis in our rabbits by feeding more forage. A very early thread is here, it may give you some more ideas about what we're feeding.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves
I hope that helps & hasn't overwhelmed you. It's a big topic.

Your the best x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What a lovely idea! :D

I wonder if they'd like some willow too, there are loads of weeping willow trees near work and I used to collect loads for Smoo as they have natural painkilling effects. She loved willow. :love:

Ima going to get me some forage on my lunch break :D

Aww bless you Jenova. Yes, Benjie loves the long thin twigs of weeping willow. When fresh they're so bendy, I make a little circle & weave the long end round it so it holds it's shape. Voila! rabbit chew, in a nice compact form!
Most of the leaves have fallen round here, & the wet weather has made them mushy, but the twigs are in great condition & ideal for chew rings. It may be different in your area.

Fantastic idea! :)
I know most people will be sending forage which has been dried.

Although if you like, there is a way to send "fresh" forage! :D there are some bunnies, like mine, who only eat fresh forage.:roll: so if you are a quick forager and a quick packer and sender (preferably first class for obvious reasons), then you can actually send "fresh" forage.

The tip to keep leaves fresh (also works on spinach and other leaves), is that you put the pile of forage in ONE layer of newspaper and loosely wrapped. Then put this newspaper package in a plastic bag and tie off loosely. this keep the forage moist enough to be fresh but not so moist to become "gunky". It actually keeps the forage leaves fresh for over a week!! hope this helps! :)

note: dont put too much forage into the newspaper to make crush the leaves or heavy as the pressure will make the leaves after a while gunky.always good to keep checking on the state of the leaves and turn the leaves round, so gets movement and air.

Now that I have read it properly my mind has gone into overdrive. Got lists to prep boxes to sort!!
Will give me something to do at work :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Fantastic idea! :)
I know most people will be sending forage which has been dried.

Although if you like, there is a way to send "fresh" forage! :D there are some bunnies, like mine, who only eat fresh forage.:roll: so if you are a quick forager and a quick packer and sender (preferably first class for obvious reasons), then you can actually send "fresh" forage.

The tip to keep leaves fresh (also works on spinach and other leaves), is that you put the pile of forage in ONE layer of newspaper and loosely wrapped. Then put this newspaper package in a plastic bag and tie off loosely. this keep the forage moist enough to be fresh but not so moist to become "gunky". It actually keeps the forage leaves fresh for over a week!! hope this helps! :)

note: dont put too much forage into the newspaper to make crush the leaves or heavy as the pressure will make the leaves after a while gunky.always good to keep checking on the state of the leaves and turn the leaves round, so gets movement and air.

:thumb: that is very clever :thumb:
I can see how it works. I've a reasonable memmory & I'm fairly sure this hasn't been mentioned before.
Would you like to add it to the sticky thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ds-of-herbs-for-winter!-2010-Forageing-Thread which has most of the info about foraging please?
I can't resist the comment "See you can teach an old dog new tricks!":lol:

Great idea Thumps :thumb:
I've been taking forage to my local RSPCA for the bunnies there for a few months now, I started not long after I started foraging for my buns. I only manage to go once a week but during the summer I was taking loads, it's more tricky now the forage is getting harder to find. But it's so rewarding. We can't rehome all the buns that are living in rescues but we can all try to help them have a better life by giving them some lovely noms :D

Hi Thumps,
Hope you don't mind.... But I was thinking, if you have the time, could you do a forage post maybe once a month about what is in season forage wise, maybe with pics? I for one would find it really helpful. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thank you.

Hi Thumps,
Hope you don't mind.... But I was thinking, if you have the time, could you do a forage post maybe once a month about what is in season forage wise, maybe with pics? I for one would find it really helpful. Hope you don't mind me asking. Thank you.

Thank you for asking I feel very honoured.:D
The honest truth is that there are several RUers who are much better at plant ID than I am, who sadly don't post very often.
I'm very deeply concerned about safety re foraging, it's a heavy load unless several experienced foragers " keep an eye on each other". Also, we must be careful that recommended forage isn't easily confused with other plants.

I live on chalk down land for miles around, which affects the types of plants which grow here, & have done so for 35 years:shock: The plants are very interesting to a botanist, but no use for bunny forage. So I'm not experienced with plants which grow on different types of soil.

Plant ID in general uses so many jargon terms, it's a different language which would blow anyone's mind, so I often use basic English which is botanically wrong, to communicate - eg berries when I should say fruits!

There's also a considerable difference in seasonal growth across the length of the country. I was really surprised to cross the transpennine motorway - Manchester - Sheffield to see the trees well into Autumn colours but they didn't change down here for a further 6 weeks!

I've 2 burning interests in this area.
Re rabbits - what do the wildies actually eat? The only good work done in the UK was in 1955 in South Wales. The paper is referred to in 1 sentance in "The private life of the rabbit" & should be hidden in the archives of Kew Gardens. They ID'd the plants by examining cell structure in the remnants in wildie poops - by far the best way! All nettles are defo safe - found in the poops. I've resorted to "asking the wildies" but can only tour the many local warrens & notice which plants are obviously eaten out of their foraging area.
Annoyingly a lot of plants don't grow where I want them to!! but they've helped to resolve a few "differences of opinion" eg wildies eat out the flowers of "lawn daisies" but never touch the leaves & it's exactly the same with coltsfoot. Similarly they never eat any part of ox eye daisies, creeping buttercup or the liverworts & mosses which gradually take over in old foraging areas.

It's not uncommon for 1 part of a plant to be safe but not others as in coltsfoot.
The safe / unsafe plant lists are a good guide but there is some variation, & lack of detail.

The botany books sometimes refer to toxins in plants which sound alarming but are present in such insignificant amounts that it's impossible to eat enough to have any effect at all!
I love the fact that human lettuce contains narcotics! It's totally impossible for even a rabbit to eat enough to get gut slow down or slightly drowsy, let alone for a human to get stoned.:lol:

All the standard literature refers to the effects on humans. Rabbits have complex enzyme systems which can inactivate many toxins, but the rabbits can have genetic variations. I was really surprised that it's said 96% of rabbits can inactivate the toxin in buttercup BUT 4% can't & we can't predict which. Interestingly the wildies steer well clear of it. This may account for people reporting that their own rabbits eat plants considered to be unsafe without any ill effects.
My project for next year is to grow groundsel & plant it in the foraging areas of 6 warrens, & see what the wildies do with it. It's said to be the only alternative food for cinnabar moth caterpillars which prefer the highly toxic ragwort. They store the poison in their skin which makes them toxic to birds! It's also highly toxic to other species eg horses & cattle.
This doesn't necessarily mean that groundsel is toxic, or to rabbits. I'm more than prepared to stand corrected. The truth is that I don't know. I'm very nearly convinced that my theoretical objection was wrong. Just got the last research to do - Sincere apologies to Hesperus!

My big annoyance is that blackthorn leaves are a miracle cure to get rabbits in stasis eating again. Even I can't believe how dramatic it is. Thumper showed me this, & would eat it by the armful but ONLY when gathered when the sloe "berries" were fully ripe. I've no idea why this should be. I only know that both Thumper & Benjie won't eat them until then, & the cut off point can be as little as 1 week. I spent 3 years researching the wildies because blackthorn is related to plum (deemed not safe) before I went public. I subsequently realised that wildies scoffed every single fallen blackthorn leaf in their foraging areas. (They'd already eaten all the saplings & blackthorn self seeds prolifically)

I was really cross when someone posted a warning that it was unsafe without asking me.
She said it had cyanide in it. I was well aware that all stone fruits have cyanide in the stones. (Apples have cyanide in the pips but it's obvious that the leaves are perfectly safe as was the case in Blackthorn (as long as it is gathered at that specific time.) Of course people panicked. I'm just very sad indeed, it put people off using something so helpful which had been very thoroughly researched indeed.

Then of course I'm fascinated by how rabbits percieve the world, using totally different senses to us. A post today really got my brain going with a hint that 1 rabbit was behaving as if he was living in a 2 dimensional world. When coupled with the fact that rabbits have very little 3 D vision, I was off!!:lol: Sometimes I just get brain ache:lol:

Another of my ginormous posts!:oops:
I'm trying to say that it's quite a complex subject with very little actually known = proven, & a lot goes on behind the scenes. I can't take on much more without help:(
I am however very touched & honoured by your confidence in me. I do my best to earn it.:lol:

That is the best 'no' I've ever had! :lol: Thank you for replying Thumps, I'm starting to realise just how complex this area is, and I fully appreciate you being hesitant to take on such a task with all the responsibility too.
If it's ok, I may just call on your advice with particular questions.... Like when does hawthorn start getting its leaves again?
Thanks again for all your advice.

That is the best 'no' I've ever had! :lol: Thank you for replying Thumps, I'm starting to realise just how complex this area is, and I fully appreciate you being hesitant to take on such a task with all the responsibility too.
If it's ok, I may just call on your advice with particular questions.... Like when does hawthorn start getting its leaves again?
Thanks again for all your advice.
:lol::lol::lol:
The basic answer should be "I don't know enough!" :lol::lol:
However it's a fascinating subject, & all the unknowns may stimulate someone with a better mind than mine!!

Re. Hawthorn the leaves 1st form green buds in about mid April. Bunnies adore them, but they're rich, so are for treats only at this stage.
They come into flower in May (easy to remember it's other name is Maythorn) I'd say we need to wait until the flowers start dying back if using them to add fibre to a bun's diet. It takes that long for the leaves to toughen up.

Back