• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just peg teeth!! What happened???

Hi guys, hope you can advise on this one. Pixie has had trouble with her back teeth in the past and the vet keeps a very close eye on these. She has a dental about every three months which is fine. Lately I've noticed she's only eating pellets and no hay whatsoever now or anything that is long stranded; grass, dandelions etc. She was never a big hay eater but did have nibble every now and again. Her weight is fine, is very bright and pooping wonderfuly. Yesterday though I thought I'd have a look at her front teeth (as a general check up) and it looks like both top inscors are missing and only her peg teeth are growing down! Does anyone know what may have caused this or is there anything the vet can do?? She is only 4yrs old and always had lovely normal front teeth. No wonder she can't eat hay bless her as she can't work it though the front of her mouth. I'm going to call the vet later today and see if this has happened to a bunny before to his knowledge. She is totally fine in every way in herself.

They could have been knocked out/rotted out. Anything really. So I think you're right in getting the vet to check them. One thing I just want to mention is this did actually happen to Grimlock, he was left with nothing, not even peg teeth, but he was due to abscesses in the tooth root cavities in the jaw. It *might* be worth doing a skull x ray to rule that our, but it depends on what the vet thinks the cause it.

Another thing I mention to everyone really is, do you feed unlimited pellets? Because if she can't eat hay she does need some sort of food available all day as rabbits need to eat all day long to avoid the gut slowing down and stasis. I would leave pellets down all day now unless you can find something else high in fibre she will eat such as brambles/plantain/other forage. :wave:

Many thaks for this, I will deffo arrange an x-ray just to make sure all is well. I'll also add more pellets as this is all she can really eat comfortably. She does have Oxbow pellets mixed with pro fibre ones just so we get more fibre into her. She's such a lovely cuddly little bunny, so very sweet. :love:

If she's knocked and broken them they may grow back :)

She should be able to eat hay if you chop it into smaller lengths eg 3-4", they just use the front to chop so if she has back teeth she can then chew it up.

Back