• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food aggression between rabbits and is it resolvable?

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Molly and Barney are absolutely fine together, apart from when I am going to give them something, be it pellets, treats or even just fresh hay :? Molly seems to be the instigator, when she sees me go to get the food from the cupboard, or the hay from the bag, she starts nipping Barney, then he starts doing it back, and if i don't give them whatever it is quick enough it can get quite bad! :? As soon as the food is on the floor they'll sit and munch it happily together! Can i stop this behaviour? I am wanting to increase their space, but would llike to try and solve this issue first if possible....

Donny & Lola and Kerbie & Leo are awful for it.. Chasing, nipping etc. but as soon as the food is on the floor they're fine. I have no idea if it could be 'fixed' though!

Donny & Lola and Kerbie & Leo are awful for it.. Chasing, nipping etc. but as soon as the food is on the floor they're fine. I have no idea if it could be 'fixed' though!

Have they always done it? DOes it not worry you? They didn't do it for the first couple of weeks, but then after letting them into the room they started, which is why i penned them in again :? but it doesn't seem to be going away.

Bear and Alice are like wild animals at food time there both so food obsessed.
As soon as it's on the floor though there fine, I've started preparing it in another room then just putting it straight the floor as soon as I get in , that way they don't have time to fight :)

Have they always done it? DOes it not worry you? They didn't do it for the first couple of weeks, but then after letting them into the room they started, which is why i penned them in again :? but it doesn't seem to be going away.

It doesn't worry me because they have always done it, it's a pain in the bum because they tend to circulate around my feet so scattering the pellets is always a chore!

I also get them ready in another room/in the house before I feed them, other wise it prolongs the circling etc!

When I first bought Dandy and Beano home ( they were already bonded brothers) the first night when I fed them pellets they had quite a scuffle over the bowl :shock: I was really shocked and worried, but I removed the bowl, and scatter fed from then on, there was never any food aggression after that. Now they are a quad I still scatter feed and they are all fine. Hopefully Molly and Barney will settle soon :love:

I don't use a bowl for pellets, they just go on the floor, but not really scattered about. They share a plate of greens for supper no problem though :? it does tend to be the process of me actually GETTING the food/hay rather than the eating of it which causes an issue, so i will try having it with me when i go in and putting it straight down. But has anyone had this issue and overcome it completely?

Blossom and Jasmine my two big fluffy frenchie crosses have a very close bond but food is one thing they squablle over. I make sure pellets and similar dired herbage are sdcattered through hay so they have to forage for the bits they want. They reduces the squabbles over being able to see the same bit of food they both want at the same time.

TPumpkin and Treacle have a fairly good bond but food causes scuffles.
I tried hiding food in the hay but Pumpkin pulled king of the castle and Treacle boxed his ears and honked. I eventually solved this by scattering their pellets widely across the carpet in the lounge [indoor buns] and I ensure if they do get nice treats its as close to the same as the other bunny gets as possible. I swear they have a better eye for who has a better deal than the other than the avearge toddler. I always give them the treats at the same timeand refuse to release said treat till they both have focussed on their own share. I did try giving one first then the other but the fur flew so I opted for the spoilt rabbit toddler stratergy.

In the wild buns would eat near each other but would be searching for the best bits to scoff all for themselves. I think its more a case of looking at nomrla rabbit behaviour and looking at what can be diverted into less destructive forms of normal for both buns. You may have to accept they get on EXCEPT if one thinks the other is getting a better deal on food and work to make sure they can see both get the same at the same time .

My two dont scuffle over food but when they know its either breakfast or tea time for pellets. Theres a lot of chasing!! When pellets are down, they go nuts to find them npbut theres no aggression thankfully,,,

Few things you could do - scatter feeding may help but possibly not if the aggression starts before the food arrives.

The other things is to get rid of the triggers ie get rid of the routine. Open the cupboard without giving food lots of times through the day so it doesn't work as a signal.

You could also call her somewhere separate first eg into a carrier or to a specific spot to get a treat, then put the food down. If she's got a different purpose get into the box asap she's not excited with nothing to do.

Well this morning i solved the problem by hand feeding both of them through the bars! It's not ideal but ok for now if it works... I forgot to mention that there is also an issue with Barney eating too fast; he doesn't chew enough and just throws everything down, then seems to be uncomfortable for a bit as though he's given himself gas :? So the handfeeding worked for that too.

Bobo can be very aggressive over his food - and I do the feeding as quickly as possible to minimise this. He gets so nasty with poor Harley - charging and grunting at her whilst she ducks and dives out of his way. Harley and I do work together though - it seems as though she knows I am trying to help. I always have their breakfast prepared - so it's a matter of walking into the dining room, lights on - food bowls into hutch - he gets fed first and whilst he is concentrating on his food, I put Harleys bowl down. She hangs back now until he is eating and his back is to her - and then will eat once she is confident his attention is on his food.

And 1/2 hour after all this aggression - he is the lovliest boy ever and grooming Harley and she's grooming him.

Bunnies - :roll:

Bluebell and Jasper both do this..in bowls..scattered..in their playpen..running free....they even do it if you give one a nose rub!
Almost sibling rivalry! Bluebells forever humping him despite toys being played with etc.!

Back