• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

best nail clippers?

barronzbunz

Young Bun
Hi, I'm going to have my first attempt at clipping bunnies nails. Can anyone recommend the best clippers to buy? Looked in pets at home today but their rabbit clippers looked rubbish. Would I be better off getting clippers for a small dog? Thanks

I have these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippers-Tr...85492115&sr=8-2&keywords=rabbit+nail+clippers
But they bend my buns claws.. So we were taking them to the vets, but £7 each time is a bit :? When I could do it myself.

So... I asked our vet if she could order some of the clippers they use in for us. We got a call a few days ago saying they've been ordered and we'll get a call to say when they're in. They're £17 but my god are they amazing :lol: I have no idea what they're called but I'm so excited :lol: I'll find out and let you know!

I use the options claw clippers, I have two though of different sizes, one is too small for my bun's claws (I lost my larger ones and the only ones they had inshore were the teeny ones so I replaced them with those, then found my bigger ones) and I can't work out online which places sell the bigger version or the smaller one :s the big ones I have which are best are about 15cm long I reckon. They are really good, nice and sharp and easy to use (would be easier if I had compliant bunnies though :p)

I have these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippers-Tr...85492115&sr=8-2&keywords=rabbit+nail+clippers
But they bend my buns claws.. So we were taking them to the vets, but £7 each time is a bit :? When I could do it myself.

So... I asked our vet if she could order some of the clippers they use in for us. We got a call a few days ago saying they've been ordered and we'll get a call to say when they're in. They're £17 but my god are they amazing :lol: I have no idea what they're called but I'm so excited :lol: I'll find out and let you know!

Brilliant thanks. You'll soon get the £17 back saving on vets bills. I'll be a bit nervous doing it, so if I have decent clippers it will hopefully make it easier. Look forward to your opinion on them :)

I use the options claw clippers, I have two though of different sizes, one is too small for my bun's claws (I lost my larger ones and the only ones they had inshore were the teeny ones so I replaced them with those, then found my bigger ones) and I can't work out online which places sell the bigger version or the smaller one :s the big ones I have which are best are about 15cm long I reckon. They are really good, nice and sharp and easy to use (would be easier if I had compliant bunnies though :p)

Thanks, I'll check these out too. I have one very docile bunny who I think will be fine, but the other...:?

Thanks, I'll check these out too. I have one very docile bunny who I think will be fine, but the other...:?

My more docile one has always been the worst :lol: he's more confident so knows he can just run off, the more timid one is more likely to sit still in fear, which is sad, but it means it's over quicker, although she's more confident recently so yesterday's nail trim was really hard!Harvey on the other hand who is usually a nightmare I got to be held by my OH and because he got to just lick him the whole way through he hardly noticed I was doing his nails :D

My more docile one has always been the worst :lol: he's more confident so knows he can just run off, the more timid one is more likely to sit still in fear, which is sad, but it means it's over quicker, although she's more confident recently so yesterday's nail trim was really hard!Harvey on the other hand who is usually a nightmare I got to be held by my OH and because he got to just lick him the whole way through he hardly noticed I was doing his nails :D

My OH is too scared to hold my grumpy bunny lol so I'll be I'll be attempting it on my own! Eeek

Back