• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

timmy has a absess:(

Its under his chin. She had a lOok at his teeth but all looked ok. But will have a better look when he's under GA having the abcess flushed. I'm worried x

So they couldn't vaccinate him today. :( x has anyone else had the same x

Yes. Exactly the same happened with Erin in May. She was having the health check before the vaccination and vet found the abscess. She had surgery the following day which included having a tooth removed as apparently there is much higher chance of the abscess returning if the affected tooth is left in place.

Yes. Exactly the same happened with Erin in May. She was having the health check before the vaccination and vet found the abscess. She had surgery the following day which included having a tooth removed as apparently there is much higher chance of the abscess returning if the affected tooth is left in place.

Is she ok now?? X

Do you mind if I ask what it cost x

Do you mind if I ask what it cost x

Not at all. The whole bill came to about £400 that included consultation, an x-ray, the surgery itself
and she stayed at the vets for about a week (which would be about £120) because she refused to eat for a week afterwards.

Is she ok now?? X

The abscess hasn't returned (touch wood) but sadly she needed a dental about 4-5 months later as the tooth at the top that should have met the now missing tooth developed a spur. Apparently it's not a given that it will continue to form a spur as she might just adapt and eat slightly differently. She's also had a weepy eye on and off for the past few weeks which she never had before - probably the root of the tooth that formed the spur:( I'm just so grateful that the abscess was found and dealt with though.

Not at all. The whole bill came to about £400 that included consultation, an x-ray, the surgery itself
and she stayed at the vets for about a week (which would be about £120) because she refused to eat for a week afterwards.

Is she ok now?? I do worry x x

Back