• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*URGENT*- Re Metacam and Kg Dose Rates

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I never use the calibrated syringe provided with metacam, I calculate dose rate in ml/kg and use a 1ml syringe

I need to know what a 2kg dose of DOG Metacam equates to in ML

TIA xx

If no one knows, i can look when i get home on the bottle, sorry, i konw thats not helpful right now is it, least it'll bump it for you x

If no one knows, i can look when i get home on the bottle, sorry, i konw thats not helpful right now is it, least it'll bump it for you x

Thanks, if I still had the calibrated syringe I could sort it myself. But as I never use it I threw it away. I am trying to advise someone and they are only familiar with kg dosing. So I cant answer their question.

Am at work so have lifted this from an old post of mine

Dog metacam contains 1.5mg/ml. For dog metacam the 1kg dose measure is equal to 0.1 mg metacam. By my calculations a 1kg dog dose is therefore 0.0666mls. So a 2kg dog dose is 0.133mls.

Last edited:
Am at work so have lifted this from an old post of mine

Dog metacam contains 1.5mg/ml. For dog metacam the 1kg dose measure is equal to 0.1 mg metacam. By my calculations a 1kg dog dose is therefore 0.0666mls. So a 2kg dog dose is 0.133mls.

Agreed - this is just what I was working out. :thumb:
Also: 3 drops dog metacam = 0.15mg

Trying to do it with the actual syringes is almost impossible. Will go and put them away now.

I also have the really small syringes if you need one I could send it over, they are 0.1ml syringes when I had to give Doughnut 0.04ml of propalin or something like that. Couldn't do that with the 1ml syringes!

Lilys on a massive dose as we all know bunnies metabolise the stuff three times faster. Lilys nine years old and always got gut problems and is a dental bun. The vets and i have tried different regimes and doses with her. John chitty reviewed her xrays....she has advancing spondylosis and where she has a vertebrae spyr pointing downwards halfway along her spine..it inflammes her gut and we have stasis sooo many times. she also had a sinus infection our vets missed as it was so subtle..i saw them fir myself too. John chitty recommended this little bunny of 2.5kg have her septrin...for her sinuses. Shes taking metacam twice a day..and once a day she has 50 mg if tramadol mixed in with her 1.5 dose of metaclopramide..the zantac only when she doesnt eat well. Wait for this...she has a 25kg dose of metacam! 20kg if its regular pain.
Looking at her she seems fine now...but leave her meds for two days and into stasis she went. so 20kg works out about 1.5ml.

Lilys on a massive dose as we all know bunnies metabolise the stuff three times faster. Lilys nine years old and always got gut problems and is a dental bun. The vets and i have tried different regimes and doses with her. John chitty reviewed her xrays....she has advancing spondylosis and where she has a vertebrae spyr pointing downwards halfway along her spine..it inflammes her gut and we have stasis sooo many times. she also had a sinus infection our vets missed as it was so subtle..i saw them fir myself too. John chitty recommended this little bunny of 2.5kg have her septrin...for her sinuses. Shes taking metacam twice a day..and once a day she has 50 mg if tramadol mixed in with her 1.5 dose of metaclopramide..the zantac only when she doesnt eat well. Wait for this...she has a 25kg dose of metacam! 20kg if its regular pain.
Looking at her she seems fine now...but leave her meds for two days and into stasis she went. so 20kg works out about 1.5ml.

We're on the same amount for Maurice now it's colder.

Hope you managed to sort it out Jane.x

This is all sorted now TY :)

The medirabbit reference is out of date now, but it was not the mg/kg dose rate I needed it was how many ML in a dose measured up to the 2kg level on the syringe supplied with the DOG Metacam :)

Back