• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neville ate hamster food - help

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Argh. I asked my other half to close all bedroom doors and to open Neville's pen so he could free range this morning.

Turns out he didn't close the door to the room I keep my hamsters in and of course Neville is in the room and the lid for the hamster food tub is off. I also witnessed him helping himself. It's Harry hamster and burgess dwarf harvest mixed together.

Is Neville going to suffer? I have no idea what the effect of eating a hamster mix will have on him :( he seems ok right now - is there anything I should do?

Last edited:
I don't know if they contain nuts or seeds etc so I don't know if there's anything in it that would harm him, you could check the ingredients and ring the vets to check what you should do, I would suggest feed only hay and plenty of it for at least 24 hours and not give any pellets, veg etc, and keep a close eye on him in case it gives him an upset stomach, runny bottom or he stops eating.

I don't know if they contain nuts or seeds etc so I don't know if there's anything in it that would harm him, you could check the ingredients and ring the vets to check what you should do, I would suggest feed only hay and plenty of it for at least 24 hours and not give any pellets, veg etc, and keep a close eye on him in case it gives him an upset stomach, runny bottom or he stops eating.

This would pretty much be my advice too :thumb:
Personally, I would make sure there is plenty of hay and water to help it pass through his gut and keep a very close eye on eating and pooing and take him to the vets if there were any changes with these.

I'd just keep a very close eye if it were me.i don't think there is anything dangerous in hammy food... I'm assuming he didn't eat the mealworms! :shock:

Hamster food is just way higher in carbohydrates, fat and protein than rabbit food, and low in fibre. As other have said, just keep a close eye on pooing etc, and provide lots of hay.

Thanks everyone. I'd already decided no pellets, just hay hay hay and water for 24 hrs. The hamster mixes contain nuts (v small amount so he may not have managed to get one), seeds, mealworms (ick), smashed peas and corn, hay pellets and some biscuits.

I'm going to keep him in one room today and have cleaned out his litter trays so I can monitor him.

It set rupert off with bloat once... tummy rubs and infacol helped - he does sneak behind the cage and domino (our hamster) chucks food out to rupert :roll: obviously try to stop rupert getting behind, but then i make sure i keep an eye on him and make him eat hay!

It set rupert off with bloat once... tummy rubs and infacol helped - he does sneak behind the cage and domino (our hamster) chucks food out to rupert :roll: obviously try to stop rupert getting behind, but then i make sure i keep an eye on him and make him eat hay!

Oh dear. I hope Neville doesn't get bloated.

My rabbits have eaten much worse and been fine. Greedy boy, it's clearly your fault for starving him, I hope you know that ;):lol:

My rabbits have eaten much worse and been fine. Greedy boy, it's clearly your fault for starving him, I hope you know that ;):lol:

He really is greedy!! And a real opportunist in terms of sneaking around the house - as soon as a door is open he's in!

The poor hams, they're trying to sleep whilst a nethie makes a racket and eats their food :lol:

Charlie has eaten hamster food before, as long as he hasn't eaten a whole bag and isn't iffy already he'll probably be totally fine. It's not good for them but it's not poison or anything. Milly tries to eat walls, so hamster food is pretty good in comparison :lol:

Boris was obsessed with hamster food and would sit by Pepsi's cage (bridge hammy) trying to work out how to steal it from the bowl :lol: He found the bag once and helped himself to huge amounts the little pig...I was so worried but he was absolutely fine...and very pleased with himself :roll:

Back