PDA

View Full Version : Mini lops in garrage

Kittyandava
26-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Hi all

Our mini lops live in our big garrage, it's brick built and not drafty. We also have two hutches in there. They normally have a play out in the day, but it must be too cold. Should we shut them in a cage at night? They don't seem to go in their cage a lot and I worry about them getting cold. I also put a large hessian rug in there and a box, but they seem to constantly sit on the concrete area. Thanks

moi
26-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Sounds like my outdoor buns, I bought a shelter for there shed, filled with a blanket and straw. The never go in it! And quite often they are sitting in the run rather than the shed, like when we had that storm, my 2 were sitting there facing the wind! X:shock::shock:

Tamsin
26-11-2013, 01:37 AM
You don't mention where you are/how cold it's actually getting but generally as long as they have the option to go somewhere warmer if they want then it's fine. They've more protection than a rabbit living in a hutch/run outside, and even they tend to be found sitting out in the run at night in the cold! Rabbit's just seem to cope much better with the weather than we do, and having space/exercise seems more important to them than snuggling up where it's warmer.

The rug is a good idea as that gives them another option, something else you could try is an upturned box, whilst they might not bother with a rug they often like something higher to sit on so that might tempt them. Or you could try a storage or shallow cardboard box filled with hay.

Goth Mummy
26-11-2013, 08:46 AM
I think they would prefer to have the option to hop in and out of their hutches rather than be shut in. I think you are providing a great sounding environment for them, and if they want to sit in the cold then that must be what they want! I would absolutely stuff the hutch with hay and straw though the daft bunnies will probably ignore it ;)