• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling bad for Phoebe :0(

Schez

Mama Doe
My poor, poor girly. :(
As many will remember, Phoebe came to us in a very sorry state. Her bottom was thick with dried on poo - the poor girl stunk to high heaven and she just looked... Sad. Timid and boxed at any approaching hand, and her diet was lacking.

She has came on in amazing leaps and bounds... And no longer boxes, tolerates fuss and will even demand head rubs... :lol:
Her character shines through and I luvs her to bits. :love:

Tonight, however, I feel that I've let her down. She's clearly upset with me. I decided that I really needed to trim her nails and give her an all round check. There's dried poo on the underside of her tail, (no where near how it was, before I couldn't see how she could poo any more... :shock:) but it will mean I will have to bottom bathe her again...
Weeks of building up trust and now I feel like I've broken it. If I bottom bathe her, it will cause her distress and will prob lose all I've built up with her. She's already in a tizz about the nail trim/bottom check.
I have a duty to her care and won't leave her like it, but I feel so rotten about it. Plus I feel I must have done something wrong to cause her a dirty bottom. :? She has unlimited hay and an eggcup of pellets a day. Greens are rarely fed and only in tiny amounts..

Urgh. Why do I feel so bad??!

My girl

Is it soggy poop or dried? If its just dry perhaps you could just comb it out? Don't feel bad you have clearly giving her a very nice life :wave:

Is it soggy poop or dried? If its just dry perhaps you could just comb it out? Don't feel bad you have clearly giving her a very nice life :wave:

:wave: thank you,

the poo is dried... :( (why didn't I notice earlier? I'm so :evil: at myself...) it's stuck fast and it's kinda positioned between tail and her *cof* bits... :oops: I'm frightened to pull at it as it will hurt her... :(
My thinking was, if I bottom bathed it would soften it and it would then come away easier...

Aww don't feel bad, she is in a much better place with you!

Is she eating plenty of hay? Maybe its the nuggets that don't suit her?

I'm sure it's nothing you've done. I don't think you'll have broken her trust, she probably just has the hump on with you for trimming her nails. As you say, they had to be done.

Don't beat yourself up :( I'm sure she'll be fine with you tomorrow xxxx

If she will let you I would try teasing it off with a comb first, Alfie with his long fur round his bottom sometimes had a poo stuck he hates being messed with aswell but doesn't find it too stressful. It doesn't hurt Alfie when I do it to him he would soon let me know!

Aww don't feel bad, she is in a much better place with you!

Is she eating plenty of hay? Maybe its the nuggets that don't suit her?

I'm sure it's nothing you've done. I don't think you'll have broken her trust, she probably just has the hump on with you for trimming her nails. As you say, they had to be done.

Don't beat yourself up :( I'm sure she'll be fine with you tomorrow xxxx

:wave:
She's a hay machine (now she's figured she can never run out, bless her :lol: *a bit off topic* you should have seen her when I offered her a tunnel to play with :shock: think she's getting the hang of being a bunny ;))

I'm a bit wary of switching her diet as I don't want to upset her tum too much, and she's just really settled on her pellets... She was on a wag musli thing with her previous owner... Maybe I need to check out some other brands though. I'm keeping a careful watch for wet poo in her set up... There's been the odd one or two, so maybe there's something going on?

She's still sulking and refused a head rub. Maybe better luck tomorrow...

If she will let you I would try teasing it off with a comb first, Alfie with his long fur round his bottom sometimes had a poo stuck he hates being messed with aswell but doesn't find it too stressful. It doesn't hurt Alfie when I do it to him he would soon let me know!

I think I'll give it go... :thumb: I know this prob sounds like a dumb question :oops: but what comb would you recommend/do you use with Alfie?
I wonder if Phoebe will be a bunny prone to a dirty bottom on occasion... :?

I think I'll give it go... :thumb: I know this prob sounds like a dumb question :oops: but what comb would you recommend/do you use with Alfie?
I wonder if Phoebe will be a bunny prone to a dirty bottom on occasion... :?

I have a pet comb it has a wide side and a closer prong side. I use just one prong to gently pick at the poop and tease it off the fur rather than combing it if you know what I mean.

I have a pet comb it has a wide side and a closer prong side. I use just one prong to gently pick at the poop and tease it off the fur rather than combing it if you know what I mean.

Oooooo, I get it :thumb: might work quicker/less stress then getting her wet... I'll pop into the pet shop on my way home... my bunnies only have baby brushes :oops::lol: (soft gentle bristles :thumb:)

Oooooo, I get it :thumb: might work quicker/less stress then getting her wet... I'll pop into the pet shop on my way home... my bunnies only have baby brushes :oops::lol: (soft gentle bristles :thumb:)

I have one of those too, Buster likes to eat/attack it so don't get a chance to brush him with it! :D Plus it doesn't get through lionhead fluff

I have one of those too, Buster likes to eat/attack it so don't get a chance to brush him with it! :D Plus it doesn't get through lionhead fluff

:lol: awwwww, lionhead fluff :love:

I don't brush very often at all, but Reggie appreciates it if he's maulting... Until he tries to nab and throw it... :lol:

Phoebe has just got me back for the injustice of nail trim... She's just peed on the rug... :shock: she's never done that before... Little madam... :lol:

:lol: awwwww, lionhead fluff :love:

I don't brush very often at all, but Reggie appreciates it if he's maulting... Until he tries to nab and throw it... :lol:

Phoebe has just got me back for the injustice of nail trim... She's just peed on the rug... :shock: she's never done that before... Little madam... :lol:

Perhaps she heard you wanted to bath her and she gave you something else to wash lol

Perhaps she heard you wanted to bath her and she gave you something else to wash lol

:shock:
:lol::lol::lol:

She knew it was nawty, she looked back at me and hopped off... Nah nah nee nah naaaaa! :roll: now she's cleaning her ears and dewlap... Yes, you are beautiful Pheobe... :lol:

:shock:
:lol::lol::lol:

She knew it was nawty, she looked back at me and hopped off... Nah nah nee nah naaaaa! :roll: now she's cleaning her ears and dewlap... Yes, you are beautiful Pheobe... :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

How's life with a norty bunny, Schez? You still want Slipper? :lol::lol::lol:

Aw I've only just read this :oops:

How is phoebe today?? :wave: hope she's forgiven you, I'm sure she knows your doing this for the right reasons ;)

Olly gets a bit of a mucky bum sometimes as he can't reach his caecotrophs properly and they get stuck to him. I have never bottom bathed him though, i trim it off with blunt ended scissors. He has got used to me doing it now and just sits there washing other parts of him while i do it! I just go in at the side of his tail and it's very rare that i can't do it this way :wave: hope Phoebe is ok x

Frosty gets the odd knot in his mane, I trim it with round ended scissors as well.

This happens to me & Blueberry too. He likes hiding the knots under his ears so I don't always see them and then I have to give him a mini haircut :lol:

Back