• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Actually makes me want to cry! It's the most distressing thing ever, my heart breaks at how upset Lilly gets! :(

Harvey used to be worse, but now I get my OH to cuddle him and he hardly even notices I'm clipping the nails, but Lilly doesn't like being held as much so I can't use that technique :(

It always makes me miserable after doing them! Poor Lilly, I've given her dinner now so hopefully she'll forgive and forget!

The one benefit of them being outdoors was the concrete nail buffers!!!

Does anyone else get as distressed by nail clipping as I do?

Yes, some of my newest buns are terribly nervous and they get so stressed :( it's horrible but you are doing it for their own good and i'm sure she will forgive you :wave:

No because I take them to the vet, they just wont let me do it properly! Buster will let me do a few then get annoyed and Alfie just wont keep still at all! He flops himself about even if I wrap him up so it gets me scared I will break his back or something as hes a tiny bunny. So I take the easy way out :D

i'm very worried about it. i've never actually clipped them myself but they both need doing now. I think Coco will be ok (if a bit scared) but Harvey hates being picked up and always swirms about loads and growls at me so i don't know how i will do it! plus they both have dark nails so i'm worried about taking off too much and hurting them! EEk! :shock:

I keep reminding myself when I do it that it's for their own good in the long run, even if they don't like it right now!

I think taking my two to the vets would stress them out more than me doing it, because I can do it, they struggle a lot, but it is possible so taking to the vets would definitely be cheating for me :p

Lilly forgave me fast, I'd wrapped her up in an old towel which she took out her frustration on during, and then after the towel was attacked and killed :shock: I think she thinks it was all the towels fault and I was just trying to stop the towel from attacking her :oops: she definitely was more angry at the towel than at me....

I'm really glad I've found a way to do Harvey's nails, because he used to be even worse than Lilly (he was more confident at being able to escape, whereas she gets nervous and doesn't know what to do, so will sometimes just sit still until I'm finished).

Harvey has very dark nails and Lilly seems to have stripy nails, I turn my torch on on my phone and hold it at the end of the nail, that lights it up so I can check where the quick is, then I remove the torch and just remember where it is so I don't cut it :) takes a bit longer, and is a nightmare with wriggly bunnies but it works well for us :)

The bunnies are happy today so no lasting traumatisation for either of them, or they're just super happy with their new manicure :p

I hate it too, all of mine hate it :(

Timmy and Mimi aren't too bad, they sit fairly still and know they'll get a crunchie afterwards which they demand straight away!

Max and Charlotte are a nightmare! :roll: My OH and I have to do them together, he holds them while I clip their nails. We have to wrap Charlotte in a towel and keep it over her head otherwise she gets frantic and makes constant leaps for freedom. Sometimes it takes both of us to hold her still :shock:

We have recently discovered that Max is find aslong as he's getting his face filled, so OH feeds him crunches while I do his nails. If the crunches stop coming he kicks off :roll:

Right there with you.

I think it helps when you eventually find the best way for your bun. Hugh has to be a burrito, it's the only way he feels secure, and as long as we're on the floor he is quite happy.

Meg has to be bribed. If I get her with a pile of nummy greens (and hugh isn't there to snatch them all) then she'll usually sit for long enough for me to do one foot before she gets huffy. Also moving her onto the dining room table helps and having OH there to catch her while I clip.

Gloves are good if you have a nippy rabbit! (Meg used to nip and grunt, but she's over it now.)

I keep reminding myself when I do it that it's for their own good in the long run, even if they don't like it right now!

I think taking my two to the vets would stress them out more than me doing it, because I can do it, they struggle a lot, but it is possible so taking to the vets would definitely be cheating for me :p

Lilly forgave me fast, I'd wrapped her up in an old towel which she took out her frustration on during, and then after the towel was attacked and killed :shock: I think she thinks it was all the towels fault and I was just trying to stop the towel from attacking her :oops: she definitely was more angry at the towel than at me....

I'm really glad I've found a way to do Harvey's nails, because he used to be even worse than Lilly (he was more confident at being able to escape, whereas she gets nervous and doesn't know what to do, so will sometimes just sit still until I'm finished).

Harvey has very dark nails and Lilly seems to have stripy nails, I turn my torch on on my phone and hold it at the end of the nail, that lights it up so I can check where the quick is, then I remove the torch and just remember where it is so I don't cut it :) takes a bit longer, and is a nightmare with wriggly bunnies but it works well for us :)

The bunnies are happy today so no lasting traumatisation for either of them, or they're just super happy with their new manicure :p

Ohh, thanks for the tip about the torch, i'll give it a go!

I have a trick for low stress front nail clipping. I get a chewy stick or an apple or something and weild it out of reach, the other side of the run/bars so they have to put their paws up on the run bars to get it, their claws pop through...hey presto! Nip the ends off while they're munching! :lol::lol:

Tbh I don't find it too bad, but I think it needs two people, I wouldn't attempt it on my own at all. My OH holds them and I hold their paw and clip the nails, I guess I might be lucky in that my two (and my old foster bun) wouldn't try and struggle etc, but I try and do it as quickly as I can and then they get a crunchie afterwards :lol:

Back