• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stinky bunny room!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
My husband has complained our bunny room is stinky :evil:
It's not at all we have just shut the window for the winter and the heating has come on so it's not as fresh as it was before!
Anyway, can anybody recommend something natural I could use to freshen it up? I'd never use anything like air fresheners in there with their sensitive little noses!

I leave the window on latch so not really open and keep the radiators really low. It's cool in their rooms but they are fine and it stops it being smelly!

clean everything with white vinegar. once the vinegar smell has gone, you're so relieved you don't notice the rabbit pong. and hele's way works for my rabbits too, but its so cold here now i can't even have the windows open a smidgeon.

You can put a cup of baking powder in the room to absorb stinky smells. I wouldn't use chemicals or strong smelling things in case it upsets the bunnies. Another thought is that you can burn or steam some olbas oil in the room or rub vapor rub on the walls. This is generally done for bunnies with snotty noses but it won't harm healthy bunnies.

Put some lavender essential oil on the radiator.

I keep my bedroom window a tiny bit open and have no heating on to try and keep the guinea pig smells at bay.

Incense stick?

Like the sound of the vigegar and baking soda ideas.

Would be interested to know if you find a good way of doing it.

What's stinking? Have you checked their scent glands and what do you use for litter? Paper/wood based cat litter is good for absorbing the urine/smell.

What's stinking? Have you checked their scent glands and what do you use for litter? Paper/wood based cat litter is good for absorbing the urine/smell.

They don't actually smell at all!
It's just as they are shut in there and now we have the window shut it's a bit.... Musty! Like any room would be if it was shut up all day!
I check their scent glands a lot as Bear has a fluffy bottom and Alice has a bad back and struggles to reach round there!
There litter trays are filled with megazorb and hay.

Back