• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie home - tooth absess - given clindacyl - safe for rabbits?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So rosie is home after her dental and she had the top back tooth burred and the bottom corresponding tooth mostly removed due to an absess. Poor girl. But she is home stuffing her face with pellets, herbs , a wee bit of carrot and a wee bit of banana. She has pooed as well. She was on baytril for the absess before her dental but vet has now changed to clindacyl antibiotic. I googled this and it said not safe for bunnies. I have given her half of 25mg tablet already but I am worried that it says not safe for bunnies, guinea pigs ruminants. Should I ask for a different antibiotic?

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but hope Rosie will continue to recover well. Someone else will be along who can answer you.

I would definitely NOT give Clindamycin to a Rabbit, especially orally

Please do not administer any more and speak with the Vet immediately as it is NOT a safe abx for Rabbits

'Use is contraindicated as lincosamides cause potentially fatal clostridial enterotoxaemia (Clostridial Enteritis and Enterotoxicosis in Rabbits). (B546)
"Do not use." (B602.41.w41)

Taken from here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Clindamycin.htm

Oh no jacks jane !! What have I done !! I rang the vet but he said he is using it off licence to stop infection going into the jaw. He did say to watch for diarrhoea. She is breathing a wed bit fast I think. Am I going to have killed her with one dose ?? She is lying down but will jump up on my knee to get food so she is still behaving ok. I am terrified now. Wot shall I do next ??

The Vet should have informed you that he was prescribing Off Licence and asked you to sign a consent form

Personally I would seek advice from another Vet straight away. Where abouts are you, maybe we could help by recommending a Rabbit Savvy Vet near you

Meantime can you get some Fibreplex to administer. Failing that then some Bio Lapis, a water soluble probiotic

I am not a Vet or in any way qualified re prescribing, but I would not agree to a Rabbit in my care having Clindamycin. Legally I cannot advise you not to do so though.

Jacks jane thanks for ur reply. It doesnt sit comfortably with me using this antibiotic either after what I have read.. I rang a different rabbit vet who did Rosies spay yesrs ago snd it is the vet that the rabbit sanctuary use too. They won't comment without seeing her but thing is they r 60 miles away. Its not the distance that is the problem but that too much in one day. I have ordered fibreplex last week and thought it would be here by now. Hopefully tomorrow if not I will drive to the nesrest place that has it which is about 40 miles away as I live in a rursl town in co tyrone. Will this be too late ? She has been woken frim her sleep a few times to sneeze a few times again and its freaking me out. Is this something to worry about. I am climbing the walls with worry jacks jane. If I thought I had hurt my baby I would never forgive myself.

The sneezing is more likely to be related to her already established Dental problems, not the Clindamycin.

What you need to watch for now is any sign of anorexia and/or diarrhoea. Dont feed her anything with a high sugar content, so no more carrot or banana. No other fruit either. The most important thing to get her to eat is crude fibre-hay. But given her Dental problems maybe she cant eat hay ??

If you can locate some blackberry leaves, either fresh or dried, then try to get her to eat some of those.

Thanks for tips jacks jane. I was only giving her the sweet stuff to get her eatting again so I will stop that now. I have the fibreplex but she wont eat it. I will have to get someone to help hold her while I give it to her as husband is at work til 12 tonight. She is all nested up on her chair resting now. Should I be concerned that her breathing is faster than normal even though she appears relaxed? She was eatting bits of hay before her dental but I think she was eatting less hand that was probably due to her problem tooth. I will check for blackberry leaves tomorrow in the daylight. About her antibiotic, I assume she still needs to be on one but do u know of any which r safe to use with tooth absess to prevent it going into the jaw ?? I wont be giving her any more of the other antibiotic. And Jacks Jane thank u sooooo much for taking the time out to reply to me x

Thanks for tips jacks jane. I was only giving her the sweet stuff to get her eatting again so I will stop that now. I have the fibreplex but she wont eat it. I will have to get someone to help hold her while I give it to her as husband is at work til 12 tonight. She is all nested up on her chair resting now. Should I be concerned that her breathing is faster than normal even though she appears relaxed? She was eatting bits of hay before her dental but I think she was eatting less hand that was probably due to her problem tooth. I will check for blackberry leaves tomorrow in the daylight. About her antibiotic, I assume she still needs to be on one but do u know of any which r safe to use with tooth absess to prevent it going into the jaw ?? I wont be giving her any more of the other antibiotic. And Jacks Jane thank u sooooo much for taking the time out to reply to me x

The fast breathing could be stress related and/or pain related. I assume she has been prescribed regular analgesia- eg Metacam ?

Yes, she will need antibiotic cover. The Vet should have taken a swab from the abscess wall to send off for culture and sensitivity testing. This would determine the most suitable antibiotic to use. An example would be Depocillin by injection only Metronidazole could also be given too. In fact in your Rabbit's situation I would think Metronidazole would be very beneficial given the ingestion of Clindamycin. The Clindamycin carries a high risk of causing an overgrowth of Clostridia, a bacteria that causes severe enteritis. Metronidazole can reduce the proliferation of Clostridia.

Ok goin to vet now to ask for metronidazole. Is this given alone or can it be given along with depocillin or is it one or the other ??

Ok goin to vet now to ask for metronidazole. Is this given alone or can it be given along with depocillin or is it one or the other ??

It can be given with Depocillin BUT I would not want to start the Depocillin for at least the next 48 hours. Not until the potential consequences of oral clindamycin have been established.

Please do remember that I am not a Vet. I am basing my opinion on what I have learned from caring for my Rabbits. It is not backed up with any professional qualifications in Veterinary medicine

No jackd jane I totally understand u r not a vet but experience means alot. Can I start to give her metronidazole straighg away ?? What in ur experience do u think the consequences could be ??

No jackd jane I totally understand u r not a vet but experience means alot. Can I start to give her metronidazole straighg away ?? What in ur experience do u think the consequences could be ??

Do you mean the consequences of giving the Clindamycin ?

Personally I would want my Vet to prescribe Metronidazole ASAP.

Ok went to vets and have gotten flagyl apprently that is metronidazole - ?? 1ml twice per day. He also gave me clavaseptin tablets - r they they same as septrin ?? Can u give these both together? ? He was ok about giving me these but he said in the exotic vets he worked in England gave clindacyl to rabbits for bone infections like absess. He said all antibiotics carry a risk of gastro problems - what do u think ?? Why is this particular one worse than othet antibiotics do u think ??

Ok went to vets and have gotten flagyl apprently that is metronidazole - ?? 1ml twice per day. He also gave me clavaseptin tablets - r they they same as septrin ?? Can u give these both together? ? He was ok about giving me these but he said in the exotic vets he worked in England gave clindacyl to rabbits for bone infections like absess. He said all antibiotics carry a risk of gastro problems - what do u think ?? Why is this particular one worse than othet antibiotics do u think ??

Clindamycin used in an antibiotic impregnated bead which is inserted into an abscess cavity has been used in Rabbits.But not if the abscess is draining into the Rabbit's mouth. If you read the link I posted previously you will see it clearly stated that it should not be administered orally. Clindamycin is 'worse' than other antibiotics because of the severity of dysbiosis it causes. Just as would occur if Penicillin were to be given orally, which should NEVER occur.

Clavaseptin is definitely not the same as Septrin, it is a form of Amoxicillin

I am afraid I would not be happy about a Rabbit in my care having oral amoxicillin for the very same reason I would not allow them to have Clindamycin

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/dangerous_antibiotics.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/amoxicillin-warning.html

nickybunny1 you must be so worried. Hopefully if you can get the fibreplex, blackberry leaves etc that Jane has mentioned your bun will be OK.

Sorry I don't have any advice but sending your little girl lots of vibes xx

Thanks for clarify ing things. I did read about the oral administration but u have explained it better. I have just given her the flagyl and metacam only. I am going to try and find a different tomorrow. I read a bit about amoxicillian also so glad u confirmed that too. I feel drained after this all today but am glad I sought ur advice. U may have just saved her life.

Back