• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Sick bunny?

Hi, I have a young mini lop cross doe who is about 3 months old. I got her 3-4 weeks ago and within the past week or so I have noticed her deteriorating. We have been having some nasty wet weather mixed with flapping hot days so it may be that that is confusing her. I dont know. She is extremely bony. I can feel every single bone, ridge and dip in her. But she also has a fat pot belly and I see her eating the food I get her (a mix of pellets, grass and wheat seeds from the pet shop) She doesn't hop around as much as she used to or play. She might even be depressed. I have had depressed rabbits before but I dont know why she is acting this way. she'll sit on her own for hours, without approaching her playmate, Tinkerbelle, who is friendly to her. I see her drinking water too. I have just wormed her as well as treated her for mites/lice. none of my other rabbits are as skinny as her. I have checked her all over and she seems perfectly healthy apart from being so skinny! It cant be the change in environment/food as she has been fine up until now. I plan on calling the vets and asking about it but my local vets dont specialize in rabbits so I was hoping you could help :/ do her symptoms sound familiar at all? Please reply asap to my email mcins109@yahoo.com.au. Thank you

I'm no expert, but with a thin rabbit and bloated stomach it sounds like bloat. This is a rabbit killer and your bun needs to see a vet ASAP. Buns can turn very quickly and if she has a blockage it can be hours not days before it's too late.

Sorry to be so dramatic but please get your bun to a vet

Whereabouts are you? I'm guessing not the UK, as it's cold here at the moment.

You don't mention hay. Is the bunny eating hay?

I also think it's one for the vet. I know it can be tricky to find a vet that is good with rabbits, but the bunny definitely needs an examination.

Bloat usually kills within 24 hours I believe. She needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. Good luck!

It could be an issue with her digestive system, or another issue that's putting her off her food. She really needs to see a vet asap as young rabbits can go downhill quickly. It's difficult to give any specific illness as what you are describing sounds like general symptoms of not feeling good - it will need some investigation to work out why though. Make sure the vet checks her teeth as that's a common issue.

Back