• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

preparing for spring advice please

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
I have a rabbit who is not tame I have spent time with him, He doesn't like other buns, he is neutered, he doesn't care for human contact will take food off you when he wants apart from that he is happy to be fed and watered and left to do his own thing, Which is ok with me as he is what he is and I love him any way, I cant let him free roam as he just hides and get really scared even though I have tried many times, so I feel he would be better of outside in a nice hutch 6 by 2 and run, I have him in a large pen, The room he is in has the windows open during the day, so there is plenty of air flow for him, My question is how do you prepare the rabbits for the spring to go out ?

This is my first year with house rabbits as most are outdoors. I shall just wait for the temperature to rise, usually May time, then it should be ok to put them out. It really depends on the weather.

I turned my house buns into outdoor bun this summer. I waited for the hotter days (at least mid to high 20's) to come then put them out in the day for a few days. Then left them out permenantly. My one bun adapted straight away (hed been an outdoor bun as a baby) but my other bun who'd been born a house bun and had been inside until 3years old, she took a few weeks to be completely happy and settled outside.

The main preperation really is to get a good hutch and run and get them painted before moving bunny out there.

Has the Rabbit's eyesight been checked ?What you describe about his behaviour sounds just like that of a partially sighted/blind Rabbit. If he is a REW ( I note your username) eyesight problems are even more likely.

that's you yes he is a REW I was told he was a New Zealand White when I got him, which he isn't she looks the same but he is only the size of a mini lop. His eyes are nice and clear, I dont have any worries about his eyes, He was a out side bun as a baby then even though he is still little he is in side now, could that be why he doesn't like being in, He doesn't bite or spray he just doesn't like people around him, namely me, he is ok when daughter is playing with her toys next to his pen but as soon as I go near him he darts away, managed to get him to snatch food off me but that's it then he is off, my other bun is the complete opposite to him, I makes me sad how scared this bun is that's why I think he would be better out side with lots of room, I just need to wait until the spring.

Back