• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) for rabbit pain? :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Mimzy's vet agreed to up his pain relief, we're going by degrees on the metacam, so now 0.4 mls twice a day and we'll gradually increase as needed till we reach a total of 1.5 mls a day. Meanwhile she'd like to add gabapentin if he's really struggling. Anyone have experience giving this to their bun? Mimzy is roughly 3 lbs, 7 years old and has early onset arthritis/spondylosis and residual headtilt. He seems to have some kind of on/off gut slowdown as well so we don't want to unbalance his tum further.
She's giving more baytril to use until we see her on the 8th.
Thanks for reading. :)

I have not used it for any of my Rabbits but an excellent Exotics Vet, Marie Kubiak, said this on another thread

I use tramadol quite frequently in rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas with pain that is not controlled by non-steroidals like metacam, or where NSAIDs can't be used due to other health issues. It works well to control soft tissue pain, less well for bony pain and rarely causes sedation and I've had no adverse reactions. Doses required for pain relief in bunnies are much higher than in cats and dogs.
Gabapentin I use only for nerve-damage related pain so far less frequently but has seemed to give some relief in a number of these cases.

A bit about Marie here:

http://www.manorvets.co.uk/exotic-pets/

Thank you so much for posting Jane. :) I remember Marie from Judy's (thumps_) threads. If she finds it to be useful that's a relief for me. I'll consider it for Mimzy should the metacam begin to fail us.
I think I've got the cause of his sore feet...it might be either the detergent I'm using on his bedding (hypoallergenic and safe for bunnies but may just not be rinsing thoroughly) or the bedding itself is too coarse now. I have to hang his things to dry and it's making them stiff and unsuitable for his gentle skin. We're on well water here that's become increasingly rusty and mineral laden. I'm going to have to get him new bedding and find an animal friendly way to soften it during washing.
The floor beneath his run is very cold now too, perhaps our heating is failing there so he's uncomfortable in the mornings just like me. Man it stinks to get old and creaky. :(
His vet also wants me to dilute betadine to weak tea color and try to dunk his toes in it to help the soreness. Since it's a furry area and ointment will leave it greasy she did not recommend any creams until she can get a look at them again. Not sure I can accomplish this though as he's a squirmy stressy boy. :( I can hear his heart pummeling away any time I handle him and it scares me that it'll just burst from fear. :cry:

Marie is absolutely brilliant. I'm obviously not a vet, but could assess 1 clinician to another.
In human medicine we also say that it is most effective for nerve pain, but worth a try.

I don't know whether you've thought of the methods vets can't really advise much about?
Glucosamine improves joint lubrication & did wonders for my knee caps with worn cartilage. I also felt general "lubrication" of joints & tendons.
I know Pretty Lupin used vegetarian glucosamine for her rabbit Nino with arthritic shoulders.
Fingers crossed for rapid improvement.

Thank you Judy :) I've actually got him on an herbal 'cookie' twice a day that's joint support. I thought it wasn't doing much till I ran out last week. Got some in yesterday and he picks it out of his other treats and eats it first. He knows what he needs, he gets stroppy if I forget to give it!
My vet is a big proponent of glucosamine. I've tried him on a supplement called myristol that contains this but we got no joy from it. I wonder if it wasn't vegetarian?

Thank you Judy :) I've actually got him on an herbal 'cookie' twice a day that's joint support. I thought it wasn't doing much till I ran out last week. Got some in yesterday and he picks it out of his other treats and eats it first. He knows what he needs, he gets stroppy if I forget to give it!
My vet is a big proponent of glucosamine. I've tried him on a supplement called myristol that contains this but we got no joy from it. I wonder if it wasn't vegetarian?

I don't think it was the preparation. Sadly once OA has got to a certain stage glucosamine doesn't help the pain.
That's another big difference between humans & rabbits. Humans protest more, & much earlier when they're ill.

I'd carry on with the herbal cookie. That's really interesting.
I was once a total sceptic that poorly rabbits could possibly know what was good for them. I did a complete about turn. Ahh! human arrogance eh?

Back