• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable indoor housing?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Hi,

it has become apparent that we need to get a hutch/cage for poppy as her being a free roaming bun over night is doing our furniture no favours. We have bunny proofed a fair bit buit she is a determined little scamp and we only have the one open plan room down stairs its becoming a bit of a struggle.

I have not looked at 'rabbit' cages as they are all too small i think so have found a puppy cage that looks good. Can anyone tell me if this would be suitable as overnight accomodation

http://www.only-dog-cages.co.uk/eb-blacks42-42-inch-ellie-bo-standard-small-dog-cage-in-black.html

It needs mods to make it rabbit friendly, and I would add a second level with ramp and a raised bed area, the littler tray would go underneath this. I can also use my big wire hung Hay rack which is currently dormant from her out door hutch (she is a bun who has had hay from the getgo and loves it. I would also line the base with a vinyl/lino substance as I dont think metal will please her.

But in terms of dimensions as over night/home alone accomodation is the size ok? It seems to have good height to allow periscoping and I can make a second (maybe even a third) layer for interest.

What about a puppy pen? I have given Jasper a cage plus puppy pen to stay in overnight and when we're not here, so he has a bit more space :)

I had thought of a puppy pen, but Poppy can standing jump onto out sofa, and she is clever enough to do the floor-cage-out maths :)

Also I like the fact she has the run of the house when we are there, which I wont stop. Just with Christmas coming up Im worried about her injuring herself with the tree etc.

In my opinion a dog crate isn't big enough for overnight accommodation unless it has a puppy pen or similar attached. You can get some quite high puppy pens, my buns are real jumpers but they can't clear a high puppy panel. You could also put some kind of cover over it to deter them :thumb:

In my opinion a dog crate isn't big enough for overnight accommodation unless it has a puppy pen or similar attached. You can get some quite high puppy pens, my buns are real jumpers but they can't clear a high puppy panel. You could also put some kind of cover over it to deter them :thumb:

I agree :) Also the crate in the first link, the bunnies weren't shut in that crate I don't think. I had a 48inch crate which is the biggest you can get and it is still only 4ft x 2ft.

You can get puppy pens ranging from 60cm to 5ft+, my jumpers have never bothered with the 4ft puppy pens and they only cost £33.

Back