• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What pet shops don't tell you. The problems and costs of caring for bunnies.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
I thought this might be useful for new members or prospective new members who are either considering buying a rabbit(s) or have just done so. Many pet shops will be ' pushing' the purchase of bunnies and other small animals at this time of year.:cry:

Feel free to add your own comments and experiences.

I'll start off: The misconception that rabbits are easy to care for. WRONG. In my experience and many others, they involve much more time, patience, money and work than I ever imagined. However for me, it always has been and I imagine always will be a real joy to have them in my life.

That they will be OK to live in a small hutch. Wrong! A HUTCH IS NOT ENOUGH! :) Give them plenty of space to run around - seeing a bunny binky or do a zombie flop is an amazing thing :D

that rabbits are ok with a muesli or pellet only diet and that hay is not necessary WRONG :evil: hay is the most important thing in a rabbits diet!!!

I'll add to this. I've kept bunnies on and off, but I only found this forum this summer and realised I knew sweet FA about how to properly keep bunnies. They're actually very expensive and time consuming. Luckily, I love my bunnies so am rectifying my mistakes rather than rehoming them.

They need their annual injections, spaying/neutering, insuring, live in pairs, massive cages and runs, eat pellets & not museli, constant hay...... I'm sure I've forgotten things too :oops:

1. That if you get a bunny who unfortunately needs ongoing vet treatment, such as a dental bun, it's going to cost a lot of money and take up quite a bit of your time.

2. That they NEED your time and affection and will be miserable without it. They are not animals to be put in a hutch and forgotten about.

3. That they need lots of different types of stimulation and you will need to find creative ways of enriching their lives!

thinking you can be 'enough' for a single rabbit is generally unrealistic. although some rabbits can't stand their own species, most want to be with other bunnies. buy a pair!
eta: a neutered pair!

pet shops often push bunnies as cuddly fluffy pets suitable for children ... WRONG
they make good *family* pets but are totally unsuitable as young childrens pets .

This goes with the whole rabbits just live in a hutch at the bottom if your garden, when you go on holiday just leave them for a few days with a dish full of food and then get a neighbour to top it up every other day WRONG: buns need fresh food and water everyday, they also need cleaning out regularly and they also tend to like a little bit of hooman fuss, not to mention they need to be kept an eye on as their health can take a turn for the worse at any point!!

The one that gets me, "Of course we're sure they're both girls/boys. .." Oftentimes...WRONG. Most pet shop employees are not well versed in gendering bunnies. If you do bring home a pair...Vets...now. ..and keep them separate if you aren't sure of age, sex or neuter status. ..unless you want some immaculate conceptions to take place by Christmas! :shock:

The one that gets me, "Of course we're sure they're both girls/boys. .." Oftentimes...WRONG. Most pet shop employees are not well versed in gendering bunnies. If you do bring home a pair...Vets...now. ..and keep them separate if you aren't sure of age, sex or neuter status. ..unless you want some immaculate conceptions to take place by Christmas! :shock:

Oh yes, this definitely. *cough cough* Slipper, Samantha & Cookie. Three alleged does.... All boys :shock:

''rabbits make great pets for children''

pet shops seem to think children are capable of looking after rabbits,when really-i don't know many children who will dedicate the time to cleaning a litter tray every day,feeding,exercise,cleaning the cage,providing adequate toys and cage size.

another one that also gets me is ''yeah,rabbits don't really need many toys,they're not too clever so don't get bored quickly''

wrong,rabbits are intelligent and need there toys switching out often so they don't get bored

They don't live that long...

Ummm...I believe Schumi was nearly 12 when he left us for the Bridge, and Eddie was about 10 1/2.

Most people think they live 5/6 years. My vet thought Schumi was old at 8!! (pfft, he showed her!)

That rabbits like to be picked up.

They are a prey species and being picked up is not a good thing for them.

I know people do have cuddly rabbits but they prefer to have four feet on the ground.

I've been writing a "Myths of rabbit keeping" for my webpage and have the following so far.

Myth: Rabbits are easy to care for.
Reality: Rabbits can suffer from a variety of health problems which can result in expensive veterinary treatment. They require a large relatively large enclosure with stimulating games and toys and will not always enjoy attention from their owners preferring the company of another rabbit or rabbits most of the time.

Myth: Rabbits are messy.
Reality: Rabbits can be trained to use a litter tray in much the same way as a cat would.

Myth: Rabbits are great pets for children.
Reality: Rabbits do not generally tolerate being pick up and cuddled and can be difficult for young people to handle properly. When frightened they will most often kick and scratch which can result in injury to a child. Being a prey species rabbit’s associate being picked up with danger and cannot always differentiate between being lifted by their owners and being lifted by a dog or a bird of prey.

Myth: Rabbits are best kept in a hutch
Reality: Even the smallest rabbit requires a 6x2x2’ hutch with an attached 8x4’ run as the bare minimum. A shed may be a better option for housing rabbits outdoors while a “bunny-proofed” room(s) is better for indoor rabbits.

Myth: Rabbits should be given lots of vegetables such as carrots
Reality: Rabbits should be eating a clump of hay the same size as their own bodies every day. Vegetables should make up 15% or less of their diet with hay being around 80%-90%. A good quality pellet or muesli should make up the remaining 5%. Veg like carrots contain a lot of sugar which is not good for a rabbits gut.

Myth: You don’t need to take a rabbit to the vet
Reality: Rabbits can suffer all sorts of ailments including dental disease, blocked tear ducts, eye infections, gut stasis and EC all of which require prompt veterinary attention as soon as they are spotted by their owner. Rabbits should also receive a vaccination annually to protect against Myxomatosis and viral haemorrhagic disease (VHD).

Myth: A house rabbit doesn’t require vaccinations
Reality: VHD can be spread through close contact with humans and Myxomatosis can be spread by biting insects which can easily access the home.

Myth: One rabbit is better than two
Reality: Rabbits are extremely social creatures and enjoy the company of their own kind. A neutered male-female pair often works well. A rabbit kept on its own will be required to rely on its owner for any kind of social interaction. Some rabbits do seem to be “unbondable” but these are rare.

Myth: A guinea pig is a less expensive alternative to buying another rabbit
Reality: A guinea pig should never be kept with a rabbit under any circumstances. The two species need different diets with guinea pigs requiring more vitamin C. A rabbit can also easily kill a guinea pig even by accident if it jumps or kicks out.

Myth: Rabbits don’t live long
Reality: Rabbits can live up to 12 years old when kept correctly (and even when they aren’t). If you can’t commit to the care of a rabbit for 12 years then it may be best to reconsider the decision to adopt one.

They don't live that long...

Ummm...I believe Schumi was nearly 12 when he left us for the Bridge, and Eddie was about 10 1/2.

Most people think they live 5/6 years. My vet thought Schumi was old at 8!! (pfft, he showed her!)

The woman who bred my buns told me she had one bun live to 18.:shock:

1) That 2 unneutered rabbits of the same sex will live together happily their whole lives. They are likely to fight when they reach maturity, if they do fight you should separate them immediately, they can do a lot of damage to each other!

2) That if you get a lone girl bun you don't need to get her neutered - 80% of unneutered females will get Uterine cancer unless they have regular litters.

Back