• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is there any way an indoor bun can become an outdoor bun in this weather??

moi

Mama Doe
I'm struggling with Timmy being in my room, his cage is taking up my only small bit of floor space and its doing my head in. :(

Can you bunny proof and loose the cage? It's too cold for him to go out now I'm afraid.

I would say definitely not, it's really cold out there now. Is there not another room your bun could live in? Or just have him free range with no cage?

I wouldn't risk it now as it is so cold. Much better if you can wait until Spring. Is there another room he can go in, or can you rabbit-proof your room so that he can free-range in there and doesn't need a large cage, just a small area where his litter tray etc can go?

ETA cross-posted with ripm

Oh I am sorry you are struggling but I honestly would think its too cold as its going to go below freezing tomorrow in the midlands, it would be a massive shock to the system for the rabbit to leave a heated room and then go outside. Are you thinking shed or a hutch outside? What sort of accomodation do you have outside for him?

What are you struglling with in particular, is it just the space, or is it mess or smell - perhaps there are some solutions to the problems with having him inside?

Are there any other rooms he could go in, lots of people seem to have house rabbit in the kitchen?

x

Excellent advice has been given.:thumb: I hope you manage to sort something out for your bunny to remain indoors.

Best of luck.:thumb:

looks like Im going to have to grin and bear it for now then. I cant really bunny proof my bedroom, not only have I got wires but its that time of year when I have Xmas pressies along the edge of my room. Its just the lack of space, he doesnt smell as I clean hes litter regularly. I dont have anywhere else in the home. The kitchen is too small, my youngest would happily have him in his room but then he wouldnt sleep (grouchy child = grouchy Mum), and Peggy and Tonic come into the living room when we are home so he cant go in there.

Stop moaning moi..... prob a comedown from a great weekend making me sensitive x

My two are recent outdoor rabbits; and it's 25 F (-3 C) right now. They get on just fine having not been in this cold before. Same with my best friend's (who has 4 rabbits outside; two new to it and two who have been already as have had longer). So long as proper housing & warmth are provided. :thumb:

Is your bedroom heated? Is the window open? Do you have an outdoor draught free, dry insulated space where Timmy could go?

Could you give him a second level so that he can get more space that way? Could he have his cage open inside a puppy pen with free range time when you are there?

Peggy and Tonic are bunnies? If so I would move him to the living room and then have a solid barrier for when they are out eg a sheet of cardboard. Not being able to see each other should prevent any problems, I imagine they'll already be aware of each other by smell anyway.

The other option would be if you've got a separate room eg a porch or conservatory that's cooler or you could gradually lower the temperature on - that would allow him to adjust :)

We're supposed to be having a colder winter than normal...apparently :roll: so a I would have thought a gradual approach would be best with a view to moving him outdoors come Spring.

Hope it all works out for you x

Would Timmy have to go outside on his own - do you think he might be lonely if he is used to being with you? I think the living room is the best option, if you can fit him in there too!!

i think its colder already, I have two rugs on my horse and I dont normally put two rugs on in November!

Is your bedroom heated? Is the window open? Do you have an outdoor draught free, dry insulated space where Timmy could go?

Could you give him a second level so that he can get more space that way? Could he have his cage open inside a puppy pen with free range time when you are there?

I've turned the radiator off in my room now he's there, but the window is closed or I'd freeze. I took the top off his cage when he arrived and put a puppy pen around but it really does take all the room. I can't even open my wardrobe (luckily most my clothes are in my drawers. Like I say I'm gonna grin and bear it till its warmer x

Peggy and Tonic are bunnies? If so I would move him to the living room and then have a solid barrier for when they are out eg a sheet of cardboard. Not being able to see each other should prevent any problems, I imagine they'll already be aware of each other by smell anyway.

The other option would be if you've got a separate room eg a porch or conservatory that's cooler or you could gradually lower the temperature on - that would allow him to adjust :)

Moving him to the living room is not an option, although Peggy and Tonic can prob smell him on us, when they are in close contact with other buns they get grumpy with each other. Even if they can't see the other bun. X

Change of plam, Timmy is going in the kitchen, it will mean I can't get to one of my cupboards but he's spent all night rattling his cage and I've had about an hours sleep so I have the right hump :( and at least he can free range in the kitchen when were about. My room is not bunny proof x

How long have you had Timmy? Is this new behavior? Is he rattling because he is bored?
I dont know how people sleep with rabbits in their room! I know lots of people have them in bedrooms but I had to have Katie in mine for 2 nights when my dad visited (because of his dog) and she just crashed around and caused chaos all night!

Does he need a cage if he is going in the kitchen - how about just a litter tray and block the kitchen door off with a stair gate - then you can still get to your pots and pans!
x

Glad you have found a solution. None of mine rattled bars when they were in my room and seemed to sleep when I did (or mabe waited til I had fallen asleep before playing).
Hope he enjoys his new space!

How long have you had Timmy? Is this new behavior? Is he rattling because he is bored?
I dont know how people sleep with rabbits in their room! I know lots of people have them in bedrooms but I had to have Katie in mine for 2 nights when my dad visited (because of his dog) and she just crashed around and caused chaos all night!

Does he need a cage if he is going in the kitchen - how about just a litter tray and block the kitchen door off with a stair gate - then you can still get to your pots and pans!
x

He is a new bun, we got him from a girl who is going through a rough time. Weve only had him a week. We didnt plan on having more buns hence the lack of space till the warmer weather. He does have to have a cage, I cant risk him chewing my kitchen cupboards x

Are your pair of rabbits outdoor buns at the moment?

Because of the drastic change in temperature it's inadvisable to being them between indoors and outdoors in this kind of weather as it can affect their respiratory systems.

How big is his cage? If he's rattling the bars then it's probably because he's bored. There aren't any commercially available cages that are big enough to house a rabbit in/shut them in for any length of time and they need much more space than they can offer. We used to use the base of a 4ft indoor cage as somewhere to keep the litter tray and hay (it kept it more contained as the sides are higher than a litter tray), but we didn't have the lid on it, so the buns could come and go as they pleased. Rabbits need a lot of space, and a cage just isn't enough. Freeranging either in the kitchen or the living room seem to be an answer to your problems. :)

He is a new bun, we got him from a girl who is going through a rough time. Weve only had him a week. We didnt plan on having more buns hence the lack of space till the warmer weather. He does have to have a cage, I cant risk him chewing my kitchen cupboards x

I assume he's in a dog crate.
Have you attached a decent sized run to it so that he is not confined to the crate?

Back