• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing Honey. :) (Horse)

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Abut a month ago my Auntie approached me too ask if I'd like to take on a horse on a part loan. She has originally had a horse on part loan, but due to circumstances, the owner wanted to sell her. My Auntie had fallen in love with her and could not bear to part with her and so the owner agreed that she could have her for a year to see how things panned out. She needed some help with affording her and couldn't get down there every day so needed somebody to help with mucking out and general care. I agreed. I have always been "into" horses, had a couple of loan before but things never worked out. This time feels different. I feel no pressure to do everything "right" in case the owner scolded me. My Auntie has basically left me to get on with it, and tells me that as long as she is looked after and loved, she couldn't care how I do things. :love:

The horse is called Honey. She is 15.2 and just lovely. :love: I said that I didn't really want to ride (I have issues with the morals etc) but Deb insisted I give it a go, so I caved. I really, really enjoy riding (not that I'm particularly good at it despite years of lessons) but obviously, I don't believe it's so fun for the horse. :oops: I will have to have a serious think about my morals and exactly what is best for Honey.

Anyway, I went out on her today for the second time. Normally she plods along like a donkey. :lol: However, today, some idiots were out shooting and she got very spooked. :shock: My Auntie was with me (I am nowhere near confident to ride out alone yet!) and had to run to keep up! She said she had never seen Honey so frisky and forward going. She was not being naughty, she was scared and wanted to go home (it was also tea time :roll:). I was kind of glad that she was like this, as it really did me good. I didn't panic once (although I did worry when she tried to avoid a puddle (god forbid she gets her feet wet!) and nearly touched an electric fence because she was being so jumpy! :shock: Don't worry, it's a fence used for a paddock so it's a low voltage, but I still didn't want her to have a shock.) I sat as she jumped and skittered along, circling her to keep her from getting too far ahead of my poor Auntie. We got home in record time, and she calmed down as soon as she was in the yard. The event did not affect her appetite. :lol:

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Most of the pics are just from my phone, so they aren't brilliant, but here she is.

Apparently the blaze on her face is a love heart in the Summer. :love:

She is beautiful and I hope you have lots of lovely times with her.
My horse actually becomes depressed when he is not ridden. Honestly...Im not lying! I dont ride him now as he is too old but my children do. We did stop riding him for a while because I thought he was too old but he got seriously mopey and miserable and the vet advised me to keep him in work :)

He nearly bucked my son off last week, so hes doing OK!!

Ive known many horses that love to be ridden! A couple of eg...... We had a horse on our yard that HATED people im talking major problems we think he was abused quite badly as you couldn't get in the stable with him and he would kick to the point where it was not a warning he wanted to hurt you! You couldn't tie him up on the yard as he would snap the twine and escape in seconds but as soon as he saw you with tack his ears picked right up and once you got on him he seemed the happiest horse in the world.
One pony I used to ride I had to stop taking her through the cross country course as one day I rode out with someone who jumped her horse over the jumps and I don't like cross country jumps as the scare me! While I stopped my horse to watch the pony dipped her head spun around and went over one of the jumps, I really think she thought she was missing out as her owner would take her over them.
I honestly think from my experience of working in riding schools that horses really do enjoy being ridden as long as they are fit and healthy and are treated correctly that is. She looks a lovely horse, very kind eyes :D

She is beautiful x

Well done for staying calm. Glad you have the freedom to work with Honey in your own way.

She looks lovely. I am sure once she knows you feed her, care for her and love her, she will be more than happy to take you for a ride occasionally :)

she is lovely :love:, looks about the same height as star whome I ride, see general chat post for his pics, he can have his spooky moments to while walking him, lke yesterday nan past me a bag of carrots and he was like arghhh a bag :lol:

she is lovely :love:, looks about the same height as star whome I ride, see general chat post for his pics, he can have his spooky moments to while walking him, lke yesterday nan past me a bag of carrots and he was like arghhh a bag :lol:

:lol: It makes me laugh that something so large can be so wussy. :roll: I once rode a 16.2 that was TERRIFIED of an abandoned pram in the middle of the road. :lol: It took me ages to get her past, and she skirting right around it in a huge circle. :roll:

Thank you for your comments. :) I still feel guilty about riding her, but I think it's something I will always worry about. When I'm on her, it feels like the most natural thing in the world and I forget all my worries, but I'm sure she doesn't forget that I'm sat on her! :lol:

She really makes me laugh. Last night I went down to sort her out and bring her in. I was sorting her feed out and she was stood half in the tack room watching me, getting the occasional apple. When she got soaked one day last week, I was drying her head and face with a towel and she was rubbing on it to make sure I did it to her standards. :lol: She lets me cuddle her and she even gives out kisses for polos. :lol:

Back