• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine on Jessica's backside

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

Although both of our house buns are litter trained, there are certain times of the month when Jessica decides to wee on the floor (normally in the same place) and no matter how hard we try we can't seem to get her to stop.

We're currently re-trying the 'reduction of space' technique and only letting them out of their pen when we're both in the house so we can keep an eye on her and guide her into the litter tray when we think she is going to wee.

Unfortunately though, about two weeks ago we noticed that although Jessica had urinated in the same spot, her back feet, tail and bottom area was all wet with wee. We thought this was a one off and gently bathed her with wet cotton pads, dried her and everything seemed to go back to normal.

Unfortunately not. Since then it's happened twice, with each time her tail, back feet, under tummy and bottom looking a little wetter.

After much research we decided to put her in the bath (following all of the correct advice - one inch of luke warm water etc) and clean her properly to see if it would happen again and unfortunately it happened again today.

Her skin around the tail area seems a little pink and sore and the hair in this area is definitely much thinner than before. I'm not sure if this is due to her cleaning herself after the bath and pulling some out or if the hair is actually falling out.

It also looks like there is either some loose skin or a small surface blister in-between her back leg and tail, although I really can't tell if this is anything to worry about as I'm used to seeing that particular area covered in hair.

We have booked her into the first vet appointment on Monday as we know something isn't right but I wondered if someone could give me some advice as to why she is suddenly 'weeing' herself when previously she would have moved straight out of the way.

I have to stress that other than that she seems quite happy and is eating her pellets as quickly as always and is snuggling up to Jasper like normal.

I would love any advice anyone has before the vet appointment on Monday as we're both really worried about her.

Thanks,
Sarah and Dan

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately we can't get her to the vets before Monday as the only trusted vet in the area isn't at work until then.

Is there anything we can be doing before then to help her or make her more comfortable?

The trouble is if it is a UTI she would need antibiotics. She will need anti-inflammatory pain relief for both the UTI and the sore skin (urine scald)
She may need some topical treatment for the sore skin too. None of this can be obtained without consulting a Vet. The longer a problem remains untreated the more problematic it can be to clear it up. As the problem seems to have already been going on for some time and by the sounds of it it is getting worse I would not want to delay consulting a Vet any further.

It is certainly essential to clean and thoroughly dry her. In some cases it is essential to shave the fur as that can be the only way the skin can heal. Urine scald is painful.

Hi,

We went to the vets as mentioned and although nothing was obvious, the vet prescribed some baytril and some metacam for pain relief for a week. She hasn't wee'd herself since and her skin on her hind legs has gone from sore to scabby, to hair falling out, to hair growing back :thumb:

All positive in that respect and she still has her appetite. The vet was concerned with her weight so we are giving her extra food when Jasper isn't looking and she is gobbling it all up fine.

Problem is my gut feeling is something still isn't quite right. Her litter training, even with the reduced space doesn't seem to be working. Although she is notorious for having litter tray lapses this is the worst she has been. When we do catch her weeing in the litter tray she seems to sit there for a while so we are wondering if she is straining? Maybe she is just happy to sit there.

Also she never seems to just sprawl out anymore, she is always sat hunched with her feet tucked in. When we handle her to check her she doesn't seem to squirm like she used to, perhaps just getting used to it but I doubt it.

I could take her back to the vets but experience tells me as she seems to have recovered somewhat and she is still eating fine, the vet will be reluctant to do anything as any more intensive tests would involve an anesthetic which we know in Rabbits is risky.

So.... what should we do next? Take her back to the vets or just keep an eye on her? Any things to look for or things we can do to help her?

Back