• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying a new hutch

_Jennifer

Young Bun
I currently have two lone bunnies who are both around 5 months old. I'll admit now that their hutches aren't big enough. These are my first bunnies and since finding RU I properly understand the care and amount of space they actually need. Unlike what I was told in p@h :censored: They are both having plenty of free ranging time and they have lots of toys and things to play with and neither seem unhappy for the minute. But neither of my hutches is big enough for two bunnies.

When they are bonded after being spayed/neutered I will be looking to buy or make a 'bunny mansion'. If anyone has any ideas of places I can get a large hutch or anything else I would be grateful. I am open to any ideas. I was looking at hutches with runs underneath so I could put an indoor grass box in.

They're currently living in my conservatory which is approximately 10ftx6ft and they can have free ranging in there and sometimes the kitchen. I would rather have a hutch than have them completely free range because it'd be nice for them to have their own space and there will be times when they need to be shut in.

I have time to look properly now and I want to get them something really lovely to make up for the hutches they're in at the moment :oops:

I ask kindly not to be critisised for having hutches that are too small, I know that it's not good for them and it does make me quite sad. But there is really no point in getting bigger hutches before they're bonded as it will be a complete waste of money.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Oh you poor thing, dont feel so guilty!! Im sure no one is going to criticise you! You are doing the best for your buns and you are working to improve things. Remember how most buns are kept!! When I got Princess Katie she was living in a Ferplast 100 (because thats what she came with) which I realised after a couple of days was far too small and fortunately I already had the dog crate so I moved her into that.....then added the play pen, then litter trained etc... its been a steep learning curve.

it does not help when you think you are doing the best by buying the biggest cage a pet shop has and then you find out that even that does not meet the requirements :( :(

Anyway, what kind of hutch are you looking for? Indoor, or outdoor? And what kind of style? Will they live in the conservatory - do they not get too hot in summer for animals?

Good luck. I am constantly working to improve Katie's set up so I know how you feel!!

Welfare huch company make excellent six and seven foot hutches.

Could you join both their current hutches together in some way to make one big one?

Two of mine have a six foot hutch inside an aivery run. It works really well cos I can easily get in with them and they never have to be shut in.

:wave: Well done for finding out about rabbits, and changing what you thought :D

For indoor buns you are best getting a dog crate with a pen attached as their 'safe' space, and letting them free range.
Have a look at the housing sticky for some good examples: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing

The RWAF outside accommodation size minimum is an 8' x 4' run attached to a 6' x 2' hutch, giving 44sq feet. An indoor equivalent is great, but unfortunately you cannot get indoor hutches above 4ft.
Many people choose dog crates (search on eBay),http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Cages...den_Kitchen_Toasters&var=&hash=item20d4f66d89 or you could buy an indoor wooden hutch: http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/indoor-rabbit-hutches/162, but they are very expensive for a recommended minimum size.

If you wnted to house your buns outside this is a great website: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/

As said before, conservatorys get very hot and cold in winter/summer. Could they go in your living room?

x

Back