• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trust your instincts

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
My bun Javier seemed a little quiet yesterday, he didn't seem so eager for his biscuits, but then did eat them when I put them down, he didn't seem so active, but then it was raining and the run was quite damp, (despite a very good tarpaulin). I just had a gut feeling all was not well. At tea time, he seemed eager for his biscuits and veg so I thought I was probably just worrying over nothing.
This morning, even though he woofed his biscuits, I still made him an appointment at the vets, I still had that gut feeling.
Good job I did. The vet checked him over, and very obligingly he had done some lovely poops in his carrier so I was convinced she would give him the all clear, but when she checked his teeth she could see small molar spurs. She said his cheeks didn't look sore so she thought we had caught it early. But, Under GA she saw he had two sores on his tongue, caused by his teeth. I'm so glad I took him and said she could do the dental today, there and then.
He is home now, with Baytril and metacam, and is munching on a few bits of hay, pellets and veg.
I'm so glad I followed my instincts. I'll trust them next time too.

Phew... That was a close call... Glad to hear Javier is Okay...

Good for you too!!

Fee x

Good on you for booking him in to the vets even when he looked like he was better. :thumb: This is exactly why a bun needs to see a vet after an episode like this.

I am glad that he is home and recovering well. :love:

Definitely agree, excellent advice. The last time I took Ellie for a dental something was just 'wrong', she was still eating etc but I knew it. I took her in, the vet (not our usual) skeptical as to why I'd brought her in, but took one look in her mouth and said I was right to, she then had a dental. Always trust your gut, you know your babies!

Hi Karens. Thanks for ur reply about Rosie, ur post about Javier could have been written about her. Glad to hear he is doin well after his dental. Yes it is weird our buns r goin through the same things at the same time. I hope Rosie comes through as good as Javier too. I too knew something just wasnt quite right all week and was glad I trusted my instinct that something was up with my girl. Funny how you "just know ". Ur post has helped me relax a little more about Rosies dental on Monday. Wish I had taken her on Wednesday when I had her booked in then cancelled as I thought she was ok again then her dental would now be over. Hope Javier continues to eat well and recover fully in the next few days - good man !

Back