• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

enclosure size ?

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
is 15sq foot big enough for a hutch with enclosure ? the rabbit is a new Zealand white but he is only the size of a mini lop. unsure of why. this rabbit doesn't like a fuss and isn't very happy in the house, he is neutered and had vacs, he will be outside in the spring as I feel he will like it more as he isn't settling in the house, so the hutch plus run is to be set up in the house until the weather warms and then he can go out. do you think its enough space ?

the hutch 5sq foot but the hutch is to be open at all times and only used as a sleeping accommodation if he wants to, the run is 10sq foot, to be use inside when he goes out side the hutch will be 8sq ft on double levels the run will be 10 sq ft, I just want to get him used with a hutch as at the min he has a pen and a hidy cardboard house which isn't good enough.

the hutch 5sq foot but the hutch is to be open at all times and only used as a sleeping accommodation if he wants to, the run is 10sq foot, to be use inside when he goes out side the hutch will be 8sq ft on double levels the run will be 10 sq ft, I just want to get him used with a hutch as at the min he has a pen and a hidy cardboard house which isn't good enough.

Could you give the actual dimensions (----- x ------ x ------)

ok hutch is 2ft tall in the living hutch space not the feet, 1 1/2 ft depth and 4ft length. this hutch is only to be used with door with mesh panel open, the run is 5ft length by 3ft wide by 3ft high, with top panels closed. and the hutch is just until the spring when a bigger hutch will be bought for outside. just measured seams my estimates were a little out

Unfortunately that doesn't meet the minimum guidelines as set out by the Rabbit Welfare Association - the minimum is a 6ft long by 2ft deep by 2ft high hutch attached to a 8ft by 4ft run. This is the size for small-medium rabbits so if your small New Zealand White bunny is still young and has some growing to do, this would need to be bigger.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Hope that helps

ok yes it does will not move him yet then and wait until I can get some think to add to make it bigger he has a large pen at the min, so he can stay in that. so that's 44sq foot in total then ?

ok yes it does will not move him yet then and wait until I can get some think to add to make it bigger he has a large pen at the min, so he can stay in that. so that's 44sq foot in total then ?

Yes that's 44sqft total, but that is a minimum, more is better, especially where big breeds are concerned. The hutch needs to be a minimum of 6ft x 2ft for shelter and everything needs to be at least 2ft tall to give room for periscoping, jumping and binkying.

You can get mixed breed bunnies that are white and have up ears so unless you've bought a pedigree NSW he might just be a white bunny, or he'll grow.

The run size is most important, if you've got extra space there you can be a little flexible on the hutch if he can move between the two all the time.

You could link a second run or DIY extend it.

It might be worth keeping him in his current pen and seeing if he grows much the next couple of week - that way you know how big he'll end up. You'll need bigger for a NSW sized bun than average :)

ok thanks looking at that link now reading the pdfs, I thinks buying another run is a good idea thank you I will be getting a 12sq ft hutch for him when he goes out side next year but why I am getting all the bits together I think I will keep him in his pen

Last edited:
Back