• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benjie

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sooo happy. Benjie has been a completely normal bunny today for the 1st time since I've had him 1yr 10 months ago.

He was a total nervous wreck of a bunny, spent nearly all his time in his hidey holes in the bedroom & only came out if I bent down to stroke him. On the occasions he did come out, he was happy enough - no shortage of binkies, but he'd only stay out for 15 -20 mins.
He's been out all day today, following me around, & at last normal rabbit behaviour of investigating everything I was doing, & even chinned a cardboard box. There's been some outbreaks of bunny 500's whichis quite funny in a larger bunny!

He's incredibly well behaved too. He took a tiny chew of a paper bag of potatoes, I said, "Leave", & he immediately hopped away to investigate something else.
I'm overjoyed, (as well as loving him to bits)

I find with prey animals it does take six months to a year for them to trust you fully, but it's so worth the wait. :love: So rewarding when it just hits you that they've changes because it's so gradual.

I find with prey animals it does take six months to a year for them to trust you fully, but it's so worth the wait. :love: So rewarding when it just hits you that they've changes because it's so gradual.

Yes, my previous severely traumatised animals have been predators - cats. I sailed in with Benjie then :oops::oops: How do I help a prey animal who's naturally timid for survival?
I even had to feed him under the bed, cos he wouldn't come out to feed unless I was there on look out. He's always been perfect with the litter tray, but it was more of a mad dash & back into hiding.
The other aspect is that as soon as he came here, I had to do "nasty things to him" to treat his snuffles & vet trips.

Yes, it's incredibly rewarding. I think I accept them as they are, give as much love as they can accept comfortably, & no expectations. Yes, Benjie had made much progress. It just happened in a big way today. I had a bunny with me all day. :D:love::love:

Aww that's fab :D it makes you feel so good, doesn't it :love:

I feel so proud of him, cos he's had to do all the work to overcome it. I noticed that if something unpleasant happened once, he seemed unable to learn that it doesn't happen every time.

How lovely. :D Benjie is lucky to have such a thoughtful owner. Poor Ellie will never trust me I don't think after all the trauma in this first year.

How wonderful! :) Just shy of your birthday, what a lovely gift from Benjie. :)
*ahem* We couldn't get a few pictures of him could we? I don't think I've seen any in quite awhile.... ;) xxxx

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone.:D
I enjoy sharing happy moments so much.

Mimzmum, since photobucket changed I can't upload. I need a bit of help.:oops: How did you know I got older?
I'd love my neighbour to take a video of his reaction when being stroked. Whichever part of me he can reach gets licked incredibly enthusiastically! There's also the ritual that if I stroke him he has to lick me. He moves so fast to lick my hand before I take it away I thought he was going to lunge at me at 1st.
Today I got a nose lick through the bannisters!:love::love::love:

How lovely. :D Benjie is lucky to have such a thoughtful owner. Poor Ellie will never trust me I don't think after all the trauma in this first year.
Just take it slowly & gently & be patient, avoiding similar situations which frightened her. You'll be surprised.

My Henry (cat) was deemed unsuitable for rehoming by the RSPCA. When I took him out of the carrier when we 1st got home he was totally limp with abject terror. (Some animals die with shock when they get into that state) So I left him alone to recover & didn't see him again for 4 days. :shock: He was living behind the washing machine & only came out to eat, drink & use the litter tray in the middle of the night.

I've a long living room diner - 23' so I filled the dining end with lots of big cardboard boxes, moved food & litter tray there, extracted him from behind the washing machine = limp cat again, & moved him amongst the boxes.
Phase 1. I'd read a book as far away as I could get from him. After a few days I could near movement, turned to look caught a fleeting glimpse he was cringing (belly walking) beside the wall, before he vanished amongst his boxes. I now knew not to turn my head, just watch out of the corner of my eye. He gradually lost his fear of me, & was known locally for waiting in the window for me to come home. I never saw it because he knew the sound of my car & was always at the front door to meet me.
He was frightened of everything, sky, birds, anything that moved, & even scared himself the 1st. time he purred - ran backwards.:shock: It took about 4 years to get him over all of it, by which time he was known as my "dog cat" because he was so companiable & obedient.

The highlight was when I had to bathe his abscess. I must have hurt him, head spun round & teeth went on my finger. It was so fast I expected a bite, but no, he had full control, & there wasn't even the slightest pressure. He was just saying "that hurts". In the past, humans had broken his bones, & pulled all his whiskers out - abused him horrifically. He didn't even nip me when I hurt him - still brings an emotional tear to my eye.

It takes, time, patience & perseverance to keep reaching out without frightening them. Watching them grow into their boots, & being the recipient of such love is more than worth every second.

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone.:D
I enjoy sharing happy moments so much.

Mimzmum, since photobucket changed I can't upload. I need a bit of help.:oops: How did you know I got older?
I'd love my neighbour to take a video of his reaction when being stroked. Whichever part of me he can reach gets licked incredibly enthusiastically! There's also the ritual that if I stroke him he has to lick me. He moves so fast to lick my hand before I take it away I thought he was going to lunge at me at 1st.
Today I got a nose lick through the bannisters!:love::love::love:

Just take it slowly & gently & be patient, avoiding similar situations which frightened her. You'll be surprised.

My Henry (cat) was deemed unsuitable for rehoming by the RSPCA. When I took him out of the carrier when we 1st got home he was totally limp with abject terror. (Some animals die with shock when they get into that state) So I left him alone to recover & didn't see him again for 4 days. :shock: He was living behind the washing machine & only came out to eat, drink & use the litter tray in the middle of the night.

I've a long living room diner - 23' so I filled the dining end with lots of big cardboard boxes, moved food & litter tray there, extracted him from behind the washing machine = limp cat again, & moved him amongst the boxes.
Phase 1. I'd read a book as far away as I could get from him. After a few days I could near movement, turned to look caught a fleeting glimpse he was cringing (belly walking) beside the wall, before he vanished amongst his boxes. I now knew not to turn my head, just watch out of the corner of my eye. He gradually lost his fear of me, & was known locally for waiting in the window for me to come home. I never saw it because he knew the sound of my car & was always at the front door to meet me.
He was frightened of everything, sky, birds, anything that moved, & even scared himself the 1st. time he purred - ran backwards.:shock: It took about 4 years to get him over all of it, by which time he was known as my "dog cat" because he was so companiable & obedient.

The highlight was when I had to bathe his abscess. I must have hurt him, head spun round & teeth went on my finger. It was so fast I expected a bite, but no, he had full control, & there wasn't even the slightest pressure. He was just saying "that hurts". In the past, humans had broken his bones, & pulled all his whiskers out - abused him horrifically. He didn't even nip me when I hurt him - still brings an emotional tear to my eye.

It takes, time, patience & perseverance to keep reaching out without frightening them. Watching them grow into their boots, & being the recipient of such love is more than worth every second.

Oh what a lovely cat story :love:

Back