• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold Ears - Dental Needed! what do I need to know ?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Took my 6 year old nethie Rosie to vets this evening as she has had cold ears for a few days now but otherwise eatting and pooing ok. Turns out she has a tooth growing slightly into her cheek with a bit of pus around tooth. She is booked in for a dental on Monday and I am soo worried about it.(vet has given baytril for infection) Just so i know, what meds should she be on post dental and how long will it be until she will eat normally after ?? I just recently ordered fibreplex for my bunny medicine cabinet, will she need this or any special food? I have never had a dental bun so dont know what to expect. I am worried about the GA as well.

I dont know anything about the dental treatment but my vet was very re-assuring about GAs and rabbits, he said that in the last 5 years massive improvements had been made and there was no where near the risk that there used to be. Good luck.

As above, GA's are much less of a worry nowadays and bunnies usually spring back from a dental pretty well :)

Nethie's can have dental issues like lops as their squishy faces don't have enough room for their teeth. Is she a good hay eater?

Thats reassuring about the GA . She was an average hay eater . I just recently bought ings hay and Timothy/ rye hay mix from hay for pets and my other two buns love it and rosie was just ok with it which in hindsight is probably due to her teeth. I lost my Lance in July so am just more worried about this than I perhaps should be.

Have you tried timothyhay.co.uk? even my hay-haters munch it :D You could also try Readigrass.. most bunnies seem to love it and it smells amazing, but just a handful a day as some buns can get excess cecals with it (though none of mine do)

Hi nickybunny1,
Sorry to hear about Rosie.
do you know the oddest thing, my boy Javier has just been in for a dental today, it's wired how we, and our buns, seem to go through the same things at the same time.
Javier seems to be doing ok, he had a GA, the vet thought she could see little molar spurs but thought I had caught them early, but under GA she noticed they had caused two sores on his tongue. She has given him 7 days of Baytril, twice daily, and 4 days of metacam, once daily. He is eating bits of hay and a few pellets so fingers crossed he'll be fine once the GA wears off properly. He hasn't shown any interest in his veg yet so I mite tempt him with some soft grated apple.
Sending lots of quick recovery vibes for Rosie x

Ellie has regular dentals now and has just finished a long course of antibiotics for infection in her jaw. Ellie started on Baytril but it didn't work for her at all. I've been giving her antibiotics via injection for several months now and it's only just cleared up. I can't for the life of me remember what the damn stuff is called though! Let me think.

Medication wise the vet should give her a pain killer before she wakes up, and after a straightforward dental Ellie hasn't required a second dose. When she had her big operation though she was on pain medication for several weeks. If she's a grumpy bunny like Ellie you might find that she won't eat for a good few hours after you bring her home. Ellie point blank refused everything for several hours and I was convinced she'd go into Stasis bit she didn't, the thing which tempted her into eating was Basil and Spinach!

She shouldn't need any special food, but have a pouch of critical care just in case, or some organic fruit/vegetable only baby food. Ella's Kitchen is a favourite here. Make sure she's got pellets and hay available etc, and just monitor her for pooing, weeing and eating. Make sure she's nice and warm too.

Thanks Cari for ur advice and experience with ur bun. It has been reassuring. Rosie can be a madam and our nick name for her is angry bird !! Cant wait for it to be done and have her home though.

Lots of vibes for Rosie.
Molly is in for her first dental tomorrow as well she is 5.Think it is connected
with the abscess she has had but now hopefully gone.
Fingers crossed Rosie and Molly will make a speedy recovery :love:

Back