• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit pellets

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I have been giving around an egg cups worth twice a day for my rabbits but now I wonder if that is too little. I have a newly bonded pair with quite a size difference and I am aware the smaller one in that pair is eating more than he should which is causing excess caceals. So I have weighed all the buns. and I noticed on the back of the excel bag, pellets are fed based on the rabbit's weight. However the weight does not go below 2Kg and 3 of my buns weigh less than 2KG.

Anyway to cut all that rambling short I no longer have any idea on what is the correct amount for my rabbits. Should it be done by weight at all?

Just to add, I found this on the RSPCA site, 25g per Kg seems a bit much, could that possibly be right?

Measure out 25g (an eggcup-full) of pellets per kg of your rabbit’s body weight; so for a medium-sized rabbit (2kg) feed a maximum of two full eggcups.

I do not follow instructions on back of packet.

I go by the advice generally given on here and therefore feed my two an eggcupful of pellets each once a day. They eat a mountain of hay a day and seem in very good health (famous last words).

I wont ever give an eggcup.
I almost starved my Lily to death as BB scoffed the lot.
Its not enough.

I wont ever give an eggcup.
I almost starved my Lily to death as BB scoffed the lot.
Its not enough.

This what I have been thinking. The egg cup's worth poured out onto scales shows as being 17g :( I think I have been underfeeding although they all have some fat and are not malnourished. They do get unlimited hay, alfalfa treats and fresh greens every day which must help. Not sure whether to increase to 25g per meal per bun. And I think I will have to feed Paddy and Tessa separately. She is getting on for being a large bun but he eats most of the grub and he is weeny (1.5KG). Wish I had realized this before now :(

Last edited:
I do not follow instructions on back of packet.

I go by the advice generally given on here and therefore feed my two an eggcupful of pellets each once a day. They eat a mountain of hay a day and seem in very good health (famous last words).

The packet seems wildly out to me and it is missing out some weights altogether. I may go the the pdsa suggestion as they did such an in depth rabbit report on rabbit diets. The RWA suggest an egg cup to but they also suggest this to should equate to about 20-25g. The egg cup I have been using is quite old (from the 80's maybe) so too small I think. Just not sure if I should increase or not. All but Paddy seem fine and have been since coming to us. But Paddy is eating too many and he will no doubt get a shock wen I start to reduce the pellets. It has to be done though.

This what I have been thinking. The egg cup's worth poured out onto scales shows as being 17g :( I think I have been underfeeding although they all have some fat and are not malnourished. They do get unlimited hay, alfalfa treats and fresh greens every day which must help. Not sure whether to increase to 25g per meal per bun. And I think I will have to feed Paddy and Tessa separately. She is getting on for being a large bun but he eats most of the grub and we is weeny. Wish I had realized this before now :(

My thinking is that pellets should only form a very small part of a rabbit's diet and that good quality hay should form the largest part. Mine also get a large amount of green veg every day. I don't take any notice of the back of the packet, as the company are obviously out to sell as many pellets as possible! I scatter feed.

I give 14g between my two rabbits, Jack is 2.1kg and Honey 2.7kg and the vet at the Edinburgh vet school said this was fine.

I give mine a handful each everyday , a little more in winter to try and give them a bit of extra weight for the cold weather, unless any bun gets soft poo I continue with this. They also have unlimited hay and a bowl of fruit or veg everyday.

Thanks everyone, this really helps. I also believe hay should make up the bulk of the diet and I scatter feed too. I think everyone bar my newest pair are fine and that is because my newest pair have such a size difference. Maybe I should just balance it between them and continue as I have been with the eggcup.

I know not accurate but I feed my rabbit under a year 2 handfuls of pellets a day plus fresh veg and of course lots of hay, for my rabbit older than a year gets 1 large handful the same as the younger in regards to veg and hay,

Back