• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits vs Children

dominoid

Warren Scout
A few times now when I've mentioned that me and the Mrs have rabbits and they get spoilt people have given me that little "knowing" wink and said "you should have children". Why do people equate Furbabies with real ones?

I'm actually quite happy with Rabbits; they're cheaper, cleaner and quieter than real children. They don't keep you up all night screaming for no apparent reasons, they don't disrupt shopping trips or restaurant meals and they don't vomit milk on your shoulder. So why does everyone think I would prefer one of those things?!

I'm with you! Although lately a lot less people have been telling me "you'll change your mind!" which is nice!

People seem to think they can speak for others. I love having the rabbits but I wanted children from the age of 4. Got a son now and although he did cry quite a bit esp in the early evenings bringing him up has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Its great that you are happy with your choice. No reason at all why people should make assumptions about others desires.

I'm with you too. I have rabbits and a cat. I don't have any children and don't plan to, but I know plenty of people who have both rabbits, cats or dogs and children. Do people think that if those people didn't have pets they would have had more children? Pets and children give you completely different things, they are not a replacement for each other. I also know people who have children and no pets, but i never say to them 'Oh you should have got a dog/rabbit/cat, then you wouldn't need children.' ;)

I'm happy with pets for now and no children. Maybe that will change in the future, but I agree with you, I wish people would stop telling me my love for my pets isn't as good as love for child. Maybe it's not, bus as I've never had a child and don't want one it's good enough for me!

I have a very long list of why I don't want children. :D

I'm too young to have children at the moment, I am definitely not ready at 22, or prepared in any way, shape or form.

My rabbits are enough responsibility for me, I do kind of treat them like my babies anyway. :lol:

I am sure I will have children one day, and I will raise them to be animal mad, just like me. :D

People tend think our rabbits are substitutes for children as I cannot have kids - the thing is that I never particualy wanted children so not sure how rabbits are substituting some thing I didn't want anyway.

Rabbits are rabbits - children are children - and I have rabbits because I love animals not because I love children but rabbits are the next best thing.

And our rabbits get treated way better than any children we might have had:shock::lol:

It annoys me when people think my pets are children substitutes too. Especially when the people saying it are people with children, who also have much-loved pets themselves. I could understand it a bit more if it were people without pets, but who had children, saying it.

People tend think our rabbits are substitutes for children as I cannot have kids - the thing is that I never particualy wanted children so not sure how rabbits are substituting some thing I didn't want anyway.

Rabbits are rabbits - children are children - and I have rabbits because I love animals not because I love children but rabbits are the next best thing.

And our rabbits get treated way better than any children we might have had:shock::lol:

This!

I'm happy with pets for now and no children. Maybe that will change in the future, but I agree with you, I wish people would stop telling me my love for my pets isn't as good as love for child. Maybe it's not, bus as I've never had a child and don't want one it's good enough for me!

I have a very long list of why I don't want children. :D

Me too :lol:

Thankfully people seem to have realised it's not something I'm planning... It helps that my OH is turning 28 in around 6 weeks and is still dead set against it I think, it shows I wouldn't still be with him if I was having doubts about it, and people assume he's old enough to make decisions now :lol:
For a while, when we were in public and he said to someone he didn't want kids, people would look at me like they fault sorry for me. As if we'd never discussed this in the few years we've been together, and I was hearing for the first time at that exact moment that I'd never have children.

Dogs all the way for me :love:

Rabbits all the way for me and the Mrs. We are both in our 30's and have no desire for kids at all. People are always saying kids will change your life, they never think that we are actually very content now and don't need our lives changing. :D

My rabbits ARE my substitute babies :lol:

Yep, we are hoping that babies will be in the near future-ish but I know full well my desire to have lots of furry babies is increased dramatically as I'm feeling broody. Don't get me wrong I understand that rabbits are rabbits and I love them for it. But having their little furry faces around does help me be patient and wait for when the time is right for us!

Yep, we are hoping that babies will be in the near future-ish but I know full well my desire to have lots of furry babies is increased dramatically as I'm feeling broody. Don't get me wrong I understand that rabbits are rabbits and I love them for it. But having their little furry faces around does help me be patient and wait for when the time is right for us!

~We are trying but not successfully.... but to everyone else we're happy, my in laws are a nightmare, they're on their way now, with our niece... so that'll be a ploy and a lecture on how we need to be producing their grandchildren! we just say john dont want any cos their interfering will be worse if they kenw we were trying!

such a nightmare!

i love my bunnies, i'd do anything for them and even if we do have human babies R&T will still be my furbabies, and always wil be :love:

I'm happy with pets for now and no children. Maybe that will change in the future,

I feel the same as this!!

I love my rabbits and cat and I really hate that some people I know look at me as if I am 'odd' because of this. I have no intention to have children in the near future (if it changes then great) but I don't have my pets as replacements for it.

I love my pets and I feel like some people I know don't realise that they actually are a big responsibility, expensive at times and can be hard work - maybe not to the scale of children but big enough for me right now :)

How silly. I have two children, (and wanted children from a very young age) but also a dog, horse, cat, rabbit and 3 guinea pigs. Love them all and spoil all off them rotten (kids included ;) ).

Edited to say: If anyone is trying for a baby and having fertility problems, then the best thing to say to interfering relatives asking when you will reproduce is: "Yes, we are desperate for a baby but we are having fertility treatment. We are very upset about it". That soon shuts them up :evil:
x

Last edited:
ive never wanted kids, mums always said I prefer animals to people and shes quite right, I find the idea of pregnancy quite revolting tbh!!

I don't get broody what so ever for babies....puppies, baby buns, foals yes, but human babies not at all lol maybe im not hardwired quite right!

ive done online dating before and stated I do not want children and men who have never met me have even said i'll change my mind when I get older/meet the right guy/settle down....errr no, no I wont, but thanks anyway lol

ive never wanted kids, mums always said I prefer animals to people and shes quite right, I find the idea of pregnancy quite revolting tbh!!

I don't get broody what so ever for babies....puppies, baby buns, foals yes, but human babies not at all lol maybe im not hardwired quite right!

ive done online dating before and stated I do not want children and men who have never met me have even said i'll change my mind when I get older/meet the right guy/settle down....errr no, no I wont, but thanks anyway lol

I had that with online dating! One guy even kept asking me out who said he couldnt imagine never having kids and that Id change my mind. I changed my answer to undecided after that to save the lectures.

Back