• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tobi and Chip, the piggy bond!

Tobi is one of very few guinea pigs I adopted from fantastic breeders (from the 11 I have owned in my life, 8 were rescues), he is such a Mumma's boy. Chips story is a little more complicated. His breeder is reputable and but back in June she contacted me saying Chip had been returned, seemingly starved, asking if I could take him in and look after him. We met up and a pet show and I was amazed at how tiny he was at 2.5 months (when I got home, I weighed him and he was only 171 grams!).
I introduced him to Tobi, Tobi is one of those guinea pigs who was born to be a Dad and he took Chip under his wing immediately. This picture was about 5 minutes after introducing them :
DSC04748_zpsb6bbc1da.jpg

Itty bitty Chip in the food bowl :
DSC04762_zps98fffd8c.jpg

Now for the first few days, I was continually playing the game "Find the Chip" - every time I went into my room to check on them, Chip was no where to be seen! Took me a while but I finally found him :
DSC04856_zps26725e7c.jpg
DSC04861_zpsa759db38.jpg

And now just a bunch more pictures :
DSC04902_zps5503ee74.jpg
DSC04819_zps432c224c.jpg
DSC04914_zpsdb73a1c5.jpg
DSC05200_zps8613fa35.jpg
DSC05351_zps48c86b85.jpg
DSC05206_zps92642e67.jpg
DSC05368_zpsf4662531.jpg
DSC05512_zpsd93ae7f0.jpg
DSC08553_zps84f6e509.jpg
DSC07048_zps504bade9.jpg

These days, Chip is now up to around 800g :)

Toby is gorgeous!! Do you use fleece bedding? I had a Texel once and I used to struggle with bedding in her coat, if I ever own another long haired piggy I will definately consider fleece.

Toby is gorgeous!! Do you use fleece bedding? I had a Texel once and I used to struggle with bedding in her coat, if I ever own another long haired piggy I will definately consider fleece.
Yep! I've been using fleece for the last 6 months or so for that exact reason. It also didn't help that Tobi is a very grubby boy and would always lay down on any wet bedding which made him matt even more. The only problem I had when it came to using fleece was to figure out what to put under the fleece - most people use towels or puppy training pads but I founds that didn't really soak the urine up fast enough to keep Tobi nice and dry.
Dirty boys..

Sooooo cute!! :love:

...are you sure chip isn't a hamster :shock: he's so tiny :lol:
Haha he was tiny as a chip ;)
He is still definitely my smallest (by about 300 grams but Dutch marked guineas in NZ tend to be on the smaller side anyway. Or it could be just that my other guineas are fat..
I took them to a pet show once (Tobi, Chip and two of my girls) and when the vet vetted in my girls they actually said "well they definitely aren't fat, they have rolls!" Lol.

Back