• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING Before you think about buying those fluffy rabbit christmas jumpers………...

Compass

Warren Scout
In case you haven't seen this you may or may not want to take a look…..(WARNING GRAPHIC SCENES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY)

http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=5&ea.campaign.id=23870

The topic: Revealed: The agony behind angora wool action.peta.org.uk
PETA Asia's investigation into Chinese angora farms has revealed that rabbits have the fur ripped from their bodies as they scream in pain.

This video is horrific and shocking but shows us the harsh realities of the rabbit fur trade.

Please be vigilant and check the labels of any clothing you buy, Topshop and Ted Baker have produced some very 'cute' looking fluffy knitwear for christmas which are both made of Rabbit Angora. You can all make up your own minds on this but i'm sure anyone who is on this website will be with me on this and BOYCOTT ANGORA WOOL

Well said. I was absolutely horrified when I saw this.

I cant believe that I have a cardigan made from angora wool (well 15% angora) off to the chairty bag that goes!

On a similar but not bunny related note, read what they do to geese to get the down for pillows. None of it nice

Well said. I was absolutely horrified when I saw this.

I cant believe that I have a cardigan made from angora wool (well 15% angora) off to the chairty bag that goes!

On a similar but not bunny related note, read what they do to geese to get the down for pillows. None of it nice

Yes, this is a bit of a wake up call, any fur/feathers which are plucked can surely not be humane. At least this is a starting point and will hopefully raise awareness. Even I looked at this fluffy rabbit jumper from TB and didn't think twice to check what it was made of. I am so glad I never bought it. Now that you have said about Goose, I will make sure this is crossed of any future purchases too.

I felt physically sick after reading this same article earlier today. Those poor buns. Maybe time to put pressure on the retailers.

Please share

In case you haven't seen this you may or may not want to take a look…..(WARNING GRAPHIC SCENES OF ANIMAL CRUELTY)

http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=5&ea.campaign.id=23870

The topic: Revealed: The agony behind angora wool action.peta.org.uk
PETA Asia's investigation into Chinese angora farms has revealed that rabbits have the fur ripped from their bodies as they scream in pain.

This video is horrific and shocking but shows us the harsh realities of the rabbit fur trade.

Please be vigilant and check the labels of any clothing you buy, Topshop and Ted Baker have produced some very 'cute' looking fluffy knitwear for christmas which are both made of Rabbit Angora. You can all make up your own minds on this but i'm sure anyone who is on this website will be with me on this and BOYCOTT ANGORA WOOL

BUMP - please share

I can't bring myself to look at the link right now but as a result of the campaign won't ever buy angora, I've often wondered if its production involves cruelty now it's sadly confirmed. :cry:

I'm too scared to click the link :( but I can promise you that I will not be wearing anything cruelty related and I will do my very best to tell everyone I know! (Seriously, my friends are sick of me going on about cruelty free products haha!)

I want to email my local newspaper about this to try and create some awareness. I'm so upset by this that I can't stop blubbing (and I haven't even clicked the link!!)
Would it be a good idea to contact my local paper? I want to, but don't know what to say?!

The more coverage the better

I want to email my local newspaper about this to try and create some awareness. I'm so upset by this that I can't stop blubbing (and I haven't even clicked the link!!)
Would it be a good idea to contact my local paper? I want to, but don't know what to say?!

Yes, I think any awareness has to be a good thing. I have emailed several of the fashion trade and department stores who sell Angora, I still have lots to do. I think the best way is probably by social media as it seems to be the most powerful tool. I think messages on topshop/ted baker Facebook pages and any other stores which sell Angora. I asked them what their thoughts were on the Angora Peta campaign and asked them if they were going to think twice about selling angora items. The more people who campaign, the more we will be heard. I think the best way is probably to remain civil and question their ethical values.

I felt physically sick and ill watching the video. I feel quite naive not ever knowing how Angora was produced. It's a sad sad reality.

Compass

I'm physically shaking... Angry and upset... However, thank you for sharing as I can be more vigilant with what I buy. I will pass this message on to friends and family, especially with Xmas coming and people who will think snuggly bunny themed jumpers/items of clothing would be a great gift.

I need some fresh air as I feel quite sick.

How can they have the audacity to put rabbits on these items, when rabbits have been tortured for the angora? Disgusting.

I think a big part of it is a lack of understanding. I'm really new the whole cruelty free way of shopping but to think that the washing powder, the washing up liquid or the bathroom cleaner have all been tested on bunnies, and when you see the pictures it can honestly break your heart.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/campaigns/experiments/all/303/

This is why I have taken the pledge to only buy products that have been certified cruelty free. http://www.gocrueltyfree.org/shopper

And to unashamedly guilt trip as many people as possible to go down this route, they use bunnies to test as their tear ducts do not produce as much tears as other animals ( I did read that they have no tear ducts but don't believe this to be true?). Therefore when putting products into a rabbit eyes they can see the effect as the rabbit basically can't 'cry' the product out.

I just realised that I changed the conversation from fur farming to testing but my point was we have no idea what is going on out there unless we educate ourselves and those around us.

I believe this is the same video making the rounds at American bunny websites as well. I could not bear to open it because sadly I know very well how cruel people can be to animals.
It is not only this that you find going on in Asia, but dogs and cats can be used in the fur trade as well. The treatment they receive is no less horrendous. To say I become furious at the mere thought is the understatement of a lifetime. The engine that drives this trade is legion, I don't know how we will ever stop it, but it must be stopped.
Okay...this is definitely a two or three cuppa morning for me now. I will pass the word along and need the strength of good tea not to become fully enraged. :evil:

ETA: Just saw the newer posts about animal testing...seriously are we STILL doing this??? What the :censored:???
Thank you so much for posting the cruelty free link. It's going to be my shopping bible from now on. xx

Oh how sad and aweful. I thought angora came from sheep (well, goats) ... oh God. I couldnt open the link because the images stay in my mind/emotions and replay themselves for days and sometimes months. How can people bear to do this?

OK, I cant click on the link but I am NOT going to buy an angora jumper (I had seen some cute ones with bunnies on them for me and my daughter). Thanks for raising my awareness to this.

I have also read horrible things about how they get merino wool as well :(

Please make this video go viral by emailing the link to everybody you know.

Also please post comments against angora products with a link to the video on the Topshop & Ted Baker facebook pages.
Best time to do it is at the week end as it will get more exposure and nobody will be there to take the posts down until Monday.

It is absolutely horrendous and must be stoppped!

Back