• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Freezing Cold Bunny

Scruffy

Banned
Hi Folks,

Today I went out to feed the buns and our doe was "odd" she wouldn't move, wouldn't east and seemed a bit spaced out.

I took her to the vets and he took her temperature, it was 10c/f (not sure which) than the recommended lowest, in fact he said she was the coldest rabbit he had ever seen. Our buck was fine, and his temp was normal. The vet said he has never seen one rabbit ok and one so cold.

We have the hutch winterproofed, tarps, thermal blankets, fleece blankets, loads of bedding etc... and as the buck is fine it's not a case of us not providing the warm environment for them.

They have been moved indoors for the winter as the vet thinks she can't keep herself warm for whatever reason.

Just wondering if anyone had heard/seen anything like this before?

Poor thing hope she feels better soon and someone can provide with some useful information soon

Did the vet examine her all over? There is obviously something very wrong if she is so cold and won't eat. I think the best thing to do is go and get a second opinion at a different vets. If you are in Liverpool, the best place to go is the Uni. I hope you can get some help for your bunny x

My rabbit went into the vet a couple of months ago with similar symptoms and was measured as being much colder than normal (apparently he was very surprised when they stuck the thermometer up his bum :shock: ) - he ended up staying in over night on a heatpad and being given fluids on a drip as he was also dehydrated. We never found out what had caused it - whether he had a GI issue which stopped him eating and drinking and therefore he didn't have the energy to stay warm, or whether he was cold and that caused him to stop eating etc. But he recovered fully from it within a few days of the vet treatment and just had to have Metacam for a few days.

Did the vet examine her all over? There is obviously something very wrong if she is so cold and won't eat. I think the best thing to do is go and get a second opinion at a different vets. If you are in Liverpool, the best place to go is the Uni. I hope you can get some help for your bunny x

Yeah vet gave her a good going over, my buck also got checked and a thermometer up his backside for comparison (much to his distaste!) She is drinking so is hydrated so not too bad, the vet also just called to see how she is, he was worried about her. If she is no better I will take her down to the uni, thank you :)

My rabbit went into the vet a couple of months ago with similar symptoms and was measured as being much colder than normal (apparently he was very surprised when they stuck the thermometer up his bum :shock: ) - he ended up staying in over night on a heatpad and being given fluids on a drip as he was also dehydrated. We never found out what had caused it - whether he had a GI issue which stopped him eating and drinking and therefore he didn't have the energy to stay warm, or whether he was cold and that caused him to stop eating etc. But he recovered fully from it within a few days of the vet treatment and just had to have Metacam for a few days.

Ah glad to hear your bunny is OK now. It's just such an odd one, the vet doesn't think she had any illness or anything so he was confused to why she was the way she was.

She has been on the heatpad all day today and seems a little better.

I think I would def get a second opinion.. my bun Freckle went into stasis and developed a chest infection a couple weeks ago and he was so cold. he had to be admitted for fluids and was put in an incubator. My vet said once they start getting so cold their bodies can shut down and they die so I would get her in to see a different vet

My first bun was stasis prone and when he felt a bit poorly he wold always find a draught and sit perfectly still in it looking miserable :( he would then get cold and make himself worse. He was a house bun and yet still got dangerously cold more than once.

With a freezing bun I would always look for an underlying health issue, especially as the husbun was fine.

Hope she feels better soon! :wave:

Just an update, she became worse late in the afternoon so I took her back and by that point her middle had become really solid.

They have xrayed and found it to be GI stasis and a build up of gas. She has rapidly declined so they really don't know if she will make it.

It's crazy how fast this happened, no warning at all. From perfectly normal to 50/50 in 12 hours. :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry. Unfortunately these things can progress very rapidly. I really hope your bun pulls through x

Vibes for your little 'un xxxxxxxx

Thank you Fee :)

Sending lots of vibes, hope she's a bit better today xxx

How is she doing today?

How is your rabbit today - poor you, I am thinking of you xx

I called and spoke with the nurses this morning, she made it through the night and "ok in herself" just waiting on the vet to call me (any time now apparently) Will update when I know more.

Thank you all for your support :)

So sorry, very similar to what happened to Freckle :( hope she starts to pick up soon xx

The vet just called, she is doing really well and can come home today. (with a few days meds)

She said she has seen rabbits not as sick as her that didn't last the night so she is a tough one!

So relieved she will be ok!

Back