• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some questions about vaccinations

Dawson

Warren Scout
Hello all,

I'm sorry if these questions have already been answered before, I did a quick search but found a lot of non related topics.
I'm on another rabbit forum as well in my own language and so things might be different over there.
What I learned is to vaccinate your rabbits twice a year against Myxomatosis and VHD. But I've seen some posts on this topic of people doing it only once a year?
What should it be twice or once?

I don't have rabbits yet, I will move out this month to a pet friendly place and reserved a beautiful girl who would probably come around in 3 weeks. She will be 10 weeks old or slightly older, I do not know if she has been vaccinated though. I have also I read that young rabbits don't get these diseases but I might be wrong in this.

So assuming she hasn't been vaccinated yet at what age should she?

I've also read somewhere that its best to vaccinate them around spring and autumn.
However as I'm getting her in December I'm afraid that waiting for spring is too risky. (assuming she's old enough for the vaccinations)

Another thing, we have certain days where rabbits can get vaccinations for a really low price. Basically you and a lot of other people all sign up for that day to get the vaccination because they don't use the whole dose and otherwise have to throw it away.
Does something like that also exist here in the UK?

If it does what is it called?

Lastly, what other diseases would you recommend me to get her vaccinated for?

She is going to be an indoor house rabbit, but I still don't want to take risks. (I'm planning on finding a friend for her when she is about 4 - 6 months, but that is off topic :p)

Well thank you for your time if you've read this :)

It's just Vhd and Myxo vaccines. In the UK we are now using the combined vaccine which is once a year and can be given from 5 weeks old I believe. Think its called the Nobivac Combi vaccine. Young rabbits can get these diseases, so it is important to have your bun done ASAP. I've heard nothing about reduced cost days for vaccines, but there is usually a reduction around Rabbit Awareness Week, but that would be more appropriate for next year.

Marley had his jabs yesterday

they used to do two separate jabs that needed to be done something like 6mths apart but now they do the combi jab once a year and my vet said they charge the same for the combi as they used to charge for just the one jab that you'd have to have twice so I guess its a bit of a saving in that respect

Yes, in the past buns would have 3 vaccinations in a year. One for VhD which lasts a year, and one for Myxo 2weeks after or prior, which last 6 months so a second was needed each year, this is the reason you've seen recommendations about when to time the myxo vaccines.

Thank you!

But once a year, that is as safe as before? (I hope?)
Then if she hadn't been vaccinated its best to do it ASAP regardless winter/spring etc?

That's good to know.
I honestly don't mind paying 1 or 2 or 3 times a year, I want a rabbit so I have to be responsible for her :) If I wouldn't be able to afford the cost I wouldn't get a pet. But then a discount is always nice :p

The once a year vaccine should be safer than the old one because it's made in a different way, the old one was similar to the myxi virus so protected them, the new virus is made of the same virus so offers far better protection.

I always get rabbits vaccinated ASAP, as it lasts a year I don't see it matters when you vaccinate.

I think the discount issue will no longer apply as the vaccines are supplied individually now so there is no waste, the old VHD vaccines were supplied so that 5 (or was it 6?) were together and once opened all of them had to be used that day or were wasted.

Rabbits can be vaccinated from 5 weeks old so whenever, sooner rather than later though :)

When it was the 2-3 separate vaccines a year it was a pain in the bum for us. We had 4 rabbits at the time so it was timely and expensive but needs to be done! Now it's the single vaccines my life is a lot easier.. and it's cheaper! So now the 6 rabbits cost less than the 4 rabbits did! We're taking one of the buns for hers today actually, then next week we're taking the pair for one of them to have his done, then December for the second bun in that pair :lol: The other 3 are next year so can have a break for a bit.

Back