• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Choking

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
Think our Florrie might of been choking this morning. She is very greedy and rushes her food. The hubby feed her a pellet this morning and she seemed to have a funny turn. Shoke her head for a few seconds then went into her house and had lots of saliva coming out her mouth and also grunting. Eventually it started coming out her nose with bits of pellets in. She then went ok and is back to herself, begging for food and eating hay also had some water. We are at work now scared she is ok, mother in law going down shortly. Do you think she will be ok and does she need to go to the vet? This is possibly the most scary thing I've seen :(

I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge myself other than what I learnt from the sticky, I would advise you to ring your vet and check

If at all possible I would get her Vet checked this morning. But if this is out of the question then she definitely needs to be examined this evening, even is she seems fine within herself. Aspiration pneumonia is a real possibility after a choking episode. Also, the Vet needs to look for any possible causes for the choking

What pellets do you feed ?

I had a problem with Kerbie where he wolfed his pellets down, and after a bit he would run to the corner, start cleaning his mouth and making hiccup movements. I was all ready to start the bunny heimlich manoeuvre but he would stop and run back for more food. This happened for a few days, as scatter feeding wasn't working, before I had another read of the choking thread and now I soak and scatter feed their pellets (science selective) which has worked a treat, is that something you could do after she sees a vet?

I honestly cannot get out of work, I have never had this problem as my work is usually ok with me going out but I'm in training and my training guy is only in today and my car is in the garage so i'd be even longer waiting for taxis. I'm booked in at 5 at the vets. I'm really worried now what is something happens whilst I'm at work. Should I get my MIL to stay there all day?
She is on Science Selective but is a greedy madam. We tend to feed her 1 pellet at a time cause she is just like a hoover, i'll be trying to mush them up in future!

Back