• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do pet shop buns cope??

moi

Mama Doe
What I mean is they are only babys and they go from the warmth of the pet shop to a hutch in this weather, apart from those who have inndoor buns of course x

I would hope that if sold at this time of year people are advised that they cannot go outside until the spring :D although I doubt it :(

My girls were pet shop buns :oops: and I got them in October. I have to say they were pretty good as much as a pet shop can be and said I needed to get them used to the climate such as in our house, then conservatory for a while before they went out fully. That was the plan, and then Frankie got ill (probably from being a pet shop bun!) and they are still indoors 3 years later :lol: They also suggested I put back one of the bags of straw I had picked up as it was 3 for 2 on hay/ straw and to pick another hay as that is what they should mostly be eating. So all round they were pretty good. That said, the same place sold my sister a pregnant guinea pig :roll:

I very much doubt many places give advice on getting them acclimatised to the temperature though.

I worry about this too!

I called in to our local garden centre the other day to see if they had any of the hay Rolo likes so unfortunately had to walk through the bunny area. It seemed really warm in there, so the thougnt of them being moved outside horrifed me!

I came from there really wishing I hadn't gone in and then outside, they had these really tiny little hutches. I can just imagine a little kiddy falling in love with them as they looked hand carved and pretty but so small and flimsy!

Oh local garden center will only rehome buns to indoor homes at this time of year - obviously they can't police it and a customer could lie, but atleast it should make someone think twice.

Selling rabbits through winter (Oct-March) should be banned at pet shops. This would help with not only cutting the amount of rabbits that die because of the cold but also help the rescues who have acclimatised rabbits already.

Obviously this will not stop the breeders, but it would be a step in the right direction. This should also apply to piggies.

I would hope that if sold at this time of year people are advised that they cannot go outside until the spring :D although I doubt it :(

I recently got ted from a pet shop ( dont worry I wont b buying again from a pet shop as I know better now!) I was told he was 12 weeks old. I wasnt advised about putting him outside atall which is shocking. However ted is an indoor bun and I knew already about not putting him out in the cold. When I took him to the vets at 14 weeks to discuss neutering and for his vac, the vet was shocked and said he thought he was only about 10 weeks at that point . So poor ted was alot younger than I was told :( the vet said this was common with pet shops :((

Sent from my GT-I9505

Our local pet shop (where I got Frosty and Snowflake as babies :love:) told me that they would need to be indoors until it got warmer and that they would need both hay and pellets as they wear their teeth down in different ways. They advised burgess excell or ss. They do sell tiny cages though and the rabbits were only 6 weeks old because the smaller ones appeal to people more and so sell better ...

My subsequent rabbits (and guinea pigs and hamster) have all been rescues.

The problem is when a parent buys a rabbit for a child and they are told to keep it indoors this is all well and good until the little rabbit decides it likes the taste of the carpet, and 'oh those wires look interesting' then it becomes a problem and the rabbit will either end up locked in a inside cage or end up outside.

Simple fact is the majority of people, including pet stores, dont understand rabbits. :(

I was wondering this too, recently, when I went to pick up my horse feed from P@H! (its the closest place, I cant afford to drive miles every week to buy horse feed). To be honest the pet shops can advise people all they like about keeping the bunnies indoors but I think another problem is that people think with the best intentions that they will keep the rabbit indoors, and then it becomes problematic to give it enough space (especially with having to fit in a Christmas tree etc!!) or its not properly litter trained and the parents get fed up of clearing up after it or the simple novelty of having an indoor rabbit wears off and then they are put outside in unsuitable weather.

I think that alot of ppl just are not prepared to change their own lives to accommodate an indoor bunny which is selfish and sad .it should b considered when purchasing the bunnies in the first place. I have bunny proofed everything and I cant have a full size xmas tree anymore ...I just have a small one on a table where I can hide the wires and block access to the wires off. I dont mind avout making changes to my home /lifestyle to suit my buns because I made a commitment to them to give them a happy life. Unfortunately alot of ppl just purchase them because they look cute . :s

Sent from my GT-I9505

Back