• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help

emily..

Warren Scout
Hi!
Basically, I have just found out that princess has a little bump/spot on her nose. At first I didn't think much of it but then I had a better look and I've realised that it's a tiny bald patch with the bump in the middle of it. The bald match is probably aroun 1cm by 0.5cm. It's hard to tell as her hair is quite long so the patch isn't exactly noticable.
I haven't noticed any changes in how much she is eating and drinking, and her poop is normal.
However, I'm really scared about what this is! Can anyone please give me some advice/tips on what it could be and what to do?!
Please don't reply with just 'take her to the vets' because it's not that simple as it's up to my parents. I will be so thankful with any replies. Thanks a lot. P.s sorry but I'm really worried :(

i'm really sorry these aren't the best quality pictures but it gives you an idea of how big it is x

Last edited:
Could she have chewed on the bars of her hutch/run and rubbed her nose?

Has she been vaccinated?

As Crunchie said, a picture could be a lot of help. :)

I have no idea but hope Princess will be ok and she has just rubbed the fur away. Is it the only lump or can you feel any more under the fluff?

Could she have chewed on the bars of her hutch/run and rubbed her nose?

Has she been vaccinated?

As Crunchie said, a picture could be a lot of help. :)

it seems to far up her nose for the cause to be her rubbing on the bars. and no, she hasn't been vaccinated as of yet

I don't want to alarm you, but myxomatosis can start with nodules like the lump you describe. It's usually caused by biting insects, so with it being so cold it's not the time of year that you'd expect it, but is still possible.

I know it's up to your parents, but she really needs to see a vet, if anything, to rule out myxi, so I'd ask them to make an appointment as soon as possible.

Good luck. Hopefully it's nothing, but lumps like that need to be checked out.

Emily, I know you said not to reply 'take her to the vet' but she really does need to be seen by a vet as soon as possible because she is not vaccinated and myxomatosis is a real possibility.

It could also be syphilis which is easily treatable by a vet.

It is impossible to diagnose without a visit to a vet im afraid.

I would say don't panic.

My rabbit also has a bald spot on her nose which I thought was mites. She is perfectly okay in herself, but in addition to her nose I noticed some fur loss around her genitals. The vet thinks mites and maybe an UTI as her genitals also looked sore.

She was prescribed Xenon (mites) and baytril (UTI) Now, after a week, I am not at all sure the diagnosis was correct and I suspect it might be a nodular form of Myxi.

Her baytril course has now finished and it is difficult to tell if the nose fur loss has actually improved - we think her genitals look less sore, but as she is so well in herself I am prepared to monitor for a couple of days more.

Is your rabbit vaccinated? It could be nodular myxi or more likely, it could be mites which is easily treatable with Xenon - don't ignore, as mites is very treatable and not overly expensive :)

Just noticed she has not been vaccinated yet - please get her vaccinated asap. You will so regret it if she gets the vile myxi - I have lost rabbits to it in the past.

I think it is more likely to be mites but really, your rabbit needs to see a vet :)

Back