• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgium Hares

I do, I have a pair here who came into rescue for rehoming but have never left due to ill health.

I personally believe they are different to other breeds of rabbit. They need an awful lot of space, are huge eaters (mine eat far more than the other rabbits here with the exception of the conti's) I also think they seem more fragile in their constitution and their form than others.

I have had 4 hares here to date and one of the others was also a poorly girl who was PTS in the end as she couldn't stand and had respiratory problems. The other young girl has been rehomed but her owner has as yet never been able to bond her to another rabbit as she is very very defensive. Trying to bond hares (I tried to bond her before rehoming but we gave up in the end as she'd accept noone) I feel is more difficult and I was worried about her heart/breathing and injuries.

But then again, all of this could just be down to the specific rabbits.

I've not noticed health issues. Little's crossed with something because she's Grey so it may be down to that but touch wood her guts are hard as nails. She's even eaten Bombay Mix :lol:

I've not noticed health issues. Little's crossed with something because she's Grey so it may be down to that but touch wood her guts are hard as nails. She's even eaten Bombay Mix :lol:

Bombay mix :shock::lol::lol:

A friend of a friend has rescued one from a bad situation and i'm thinking of taking her. If OH can be persuaded :lol:

my two are very active rabbits. they have a lot of space and i think need it. they are very athletic and escape artists-which is why our garden now has ridiculous amounts of wire everywhere. go down , through or up and over! clever- they watch us use the gates and always check to see if we have locked them- if not they are wiggle straight through! they are bonded to a mini lop-were bonded as adults and it was a fairly fraught process as their first reaction was full on attack. best pals now but I wouldn't want to even try bonding another into group.

my two are very active rabbits. they have a lot of space and i think need it. they are very athletic and escape artists-which is why our garden now has ridiculous amounts of wire everywhere. go down , through or up and over! clever- they watch us use the gates and always check to see if we have locked them- if not they are wiggle straight through! they are bonded to a mini lop-were bonded as adults and it was a fairly fraught process as their first reaction was full on attack. best pals now but I wouldn't want to even try bonding another into group.

I agree with this! I think 'highly strung' is the best way to describe these buns. But they're WONDERFUL too :)

I've had my boy for the past 51/2 years since he was a baby. He is a house bunny and has been happily bonded a smaller female (with the help from Caroline at RR) for most of that time. He is more like a puppy, he will follow me around, and out into the garden when he feels like it. He can be very energetic; roaring around when the mood takes him, or he can spend hours just snoozing under the bureaux.

Thankfully, health wise so far (touch wood) he has had no problems. However, he is a piggy with his food and wolfs it down, and so has to be watched eating pellets as he has had episodes of choking in the past. :roll:

Thanks everyone. If I was to take her on would I need to change the carpet in the playhouse? Could that cause sore hocks?

Yes I think the carpet could cause sore hocks, you could maybe get some profleece/ Vetbed to put on top of the carpet - I have numerous pieces scattered around instead of rugs/mats.

Just to add, their nails can be a bit tricky to clip as they are pretty tough, and their dew claws are hard to see. My boy absolutely hates it being done, so it is usually a two person job.

Last edited:
Thanks :wave: I think he may be weakening :lol: I have forgotten to mention the spaying and trying to find her a friend part yet ;)

:lol::lol: YET!!!

I have reserved a belgian x rex and one of her sons (Cottontails rescue). Cant wait to see pics of your doe.

How exciting! Do you know when you'll be getting them?

Can't wait to see them :love:

They are being neutered on the 22nd of January, so not til after that. Look on Cottontails website;

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/animals_available.asp

What colour is your doe?

I am soooo excited. Keep looking at the pics of them and yearning. Wonder which one of her babies she will be bonded with????? The black otter is a girl they think so it wont be her. (They prefer m/f or m/m bonds).

Last edited:
Beautiful :love: That's a long time to wait, no wonder you have to keep looking at them!

She is the same sort of colour as the one you are getting I think. I've seen a pic but it wasn't that clear.

I've just text my friend to ask her to get in touch with the lady who rescued her to say that I will have her. Hope she hasn't got too attached and changed her mind! :?

Well the lady was meant to be dropping bunny off yesterday but called to say that her son didn't want to let her go :cry: I'm so disappointed! I spent so much time getting the playhouse all lovely for her too. :cry:

Back