• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Many of you have indoor and outdoor bunnies?? ................

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
............ and do you ever feel like the outdoor buns get left out slightly??

How many of each do you have??

Thaaaaaaaanks :D

I have a pair in the house and a pair outside.
The outdoor ones get less free-range playtime in the winter, as I'm just not home very much in the daylight to supervise (they have a big Runaround run though).

Attention-wise the indoor ones obviously get more, but I don't think they see any benefit from it -they'd probably rather be left alone most of the time..

I think there are ups and downs with both options. Sometimes I feel sad that the indoor ones aren't out in the fresh air and on the grass for example. But on the whole I think they are all pretty happy.

One indoor, but she's a naughty and expensive one so couldn't afford another one and not sure how others manage with more! She takes up a lot of my time.

3 indoor.

3 outdoor.

I was messaged the other day by someone telling me my outdoor rabbits must really resent me for having bunnies indoors :roll: :lol: I'd like to see them try and calm the outdoor 3 into being indoors! Even more stressful than going to the vets for them..

My outdoor pair prefer their own company. I can sit outside with them for hours and get very little acknowledgement. My single outdoor is still scared of everything so likes being on her own for now.

My indoor pair like each other's company too, but they are fussy and like human attention. Although if they've had enough they'll just hop off. My single indoor is in the bedroom so gets a lot of attention, or when she wants it, but tbh she was just as happy when she was outside as she prefers chilling out on her own or with one of her bears.

Last edited:
One downstairs, two upstairs and two outside :wave: i hate having them outside in winter though, it gets ridiculously cold here :(

1 indoor, 3 outside. I always feel guilty about the outdoor bunnies but Pud and Cupcake have each other, and Nahla hates people and bunnies anyway so I think they're happy :) Wotsit is only indoors until I feel brave enough to try and rebond my trio, if they accept eachother again she will go outside with them.

I have two indoor bunnies . Bobby is as good as gold and Rosie is such a naughty and destructive little thing. I can't help but think she is meant for outdoors :? But obviously can't seperate them !!! My intention was to let my buns free range and Bobby was a freerange bun up until I bonded them. I feel terrible because their free range time is becoming less and less due to Rosie's destructive behaviour :(

When I had outdoor buns I used to feel guilty all the time and felt like they were not getting enough attention. I wouldn't have outdoor buns again for this reason.

One indoor, but she's a naughty and expensive one so couldn't afford another one and not sure how others manage with more! She takes up a lot of my time.

Doughnut?! Naughty?! Surely not! She looks like such a little angel!!

I have four, all indoors. Blackavar was going to be an outside bunny and he stayed outside for all of 48 hours when I felt sorry for him and brought him in. Tbh, he wasn't well and wouldn't eat unless he had someone with him at all times for a bit, so he needed the company. Now he's better, he loves attention, fuss & cuddles, hops over for nose rubs and would happily stay there all day :love: I can't imagine anyone putting such a loving bunny outside now

The Boys are outside in a converted aviary/shed set up - they are nethies, so diddy, and they have a lot more space for bombing around in than they could have indoors. They like digging in their gardens too, and to be honest, even though I would love to have them indoors, I think they are happier outdoors. There are 4 of us in the household, and we spend a lot of time in the garden at different times, so they get a lot of attention. Even on wet days I go down at least 6 times a day, usually more.

Her Ladyship is my bedroom bunny, and she DOES NOT do outdoors! We did try her outside for some fresh air the first year - we put a run on the grass, and she spent the whole time sat on the wooden ledge, refusing to put her feet on the ground. She loves her carpet and fleecey blankets etc - I could never house her outside.

Six outdoor rabbits (a quad in a shed/aivery and a pair in a hutch aivery) and three indoor guinea pigs. I do find the indoor animals get more time with me but the rabbits (when they were inside) didnt seem to be bothered either way. There is soooo much more space for them outside and they all have company. I would love them to be in here cos its such fun to watch them ...

I have George and Violet in the kitchen and then a quad and a pair outside. The indoor buns get more treats I think as they are there when I am cooking but they have less room than my quad. My quad were indoors for a while in a pen and they are much, much happier outside as they have more space. They have each other for company and I am just the bringer of noms. I don't see much of them in the winter apart from to feed and clean them but they really don't mind.

Two indoor, three outdoor.

One of the indoor has been too ill from day one with snuffles to put outside.
Then of course he needed a friend.
My outside buns are giants, no way I could have them in the house, they love being outside and have more space.
We let them out all the time ( every day) and they wander in the kitchen. They get no less attention. Their massive, you can't miss them. :lol:

One in one out and yes! But clover doesn't like it out and poppy doesn't like it in (for long periods ) poppy gets spoiled in other ways though :love:

The Boys are outside in a converted aviary/shed set up - they are nethies, so diddy, and they have a lot more space for bombing around in than they could have indoors. They like digging in their gardens too, and to be honest, even though I would love to have them indoors, I think they are happier outdoors. There are 4 of us in the household, and we spend a lot of time in the garden at different times, so they get a lot of attention. Even on wet days I go down at least 6 times a day, usually more.

Her Ladyship is my bedroom bunny, and she DOES NOT do outdoors! We did try her outside for some fresh air the first year - we put a run on the grass, and she spent the whole time sat on the wooden ledge, refusing to put her feet on the ground. She loves her carpet and fleecey blankets etc - I could never house her outside.

I love a rabbit with an attitude! :love: :lol:

I've got an indoor bun. He's very bold and happy in the areas of the house he knows, but he's scared of outdoor noises and strangers, so I quite honestly think it would kill him to put him outdoors now. Not that he's going outside, he's a part of the family. :lol:

I have a bonded pair outside in a shed and run set up. I have just got Py who is a free range indoor bun.

Moley was indoor but he was too destructive and he was very bossy, also he didn't like being on his own all day and I could see he was lonely. We rescued Poppy who is a Wildie at heart, she doesn't do human interaction and puts up with me as I am the bearer of food (and because she loves Moley and he loves me :)) Moley is much happier with his wife bun and I only really see them for cleaning and feeding - I do wish I could see them more as Moley does enjoy a human stroke. :love:

I love having Py indoors and he is ALWAYS binkying so I think he is happy, but I do think Mole and Pop are happier together outside. :)

two indoors, think all except one of mine have been indoor buns over the years and the outdoor one lived inside when he got old

I love having my bunnies indoors despite them wrecking just about everything they can do (yes marley, im looking at you) lol they def get more attention than they would if they were outdoors and I think I take better care of them as theyre always there and reminds me to sort litter trays and top up waters etc

Hmm this is tricky but...

I have two house buns and they get a lot of attention, they want it and need it. They are widowed does and have been impossible to bond with other potential mates, sadly they have violently rebuffed all attempts so far. They get a lot of fussing and they love it!

I also have 4 rabbits (childhood pets) who live at my parents house in the garden. They have been outdoors 24/7 for over a decade, they are all elderly but very hardy and living a life as closer to wild buns as is safely possible. They have a wild meadow type garden and can free range for hours in all weathers and at night but only because every security precaution has been taken. That includes CCTV, sensors, motion based alarms, anti cat fencing and so on. They are very content because they have their freedom for the most part and a great deal of independence. But we remain very close. They are all willing to be handled and 2 of them lick me on a daily basis ( I live a minute or two away so can visit every morning).

Finally I have what I call my inbetween buns. 6 of them living in 3 pairs in my garage. The garage is not heated but is well ventilated, and lit by natural light and artificial lighting. These buns also get out to play daily in a metal run (8 metres by 3metres). Its not quite the same or as much as the garden buns but they are very happy. The garage is divided into three runs so they each have approx 5 meters by 4metres plus different levels for jumping on, areas to hide in and giant hay boxes where they can burrow and nibble to their hearts content. So they are suited for the outdoor life but safe and more snug in the garage. My garden is not big enough nor do I have permission for permanent run building so the garage is ideal. These bunnies again have their independence and freedom which they seem to relish but they are friendly and they know their names. I let them come to me, its all based on what they feel comfortable doing. Two of them are quite shy as one has mental issues from being stuck in a rescue for two years and the other one has been with us less than a month so I presume she will overcome her natural shyness. But otherwise they are great.

If there is one thing I have observed, all rabbits are different and have different needs in terms of attention. And that can change with circumstances or even time. Even the temperamental ones can mellow over time.

Back