• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The pair won't rebond and now they'll be alone over winter :(

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Background - Alfie and Rose fell out in October and they lived side by side for about a month, bar a week when Alf was at the vet boarding and Rosy stayed at home. I hadn't been able to rebond them sooner because Alf was back and forth to the vets and this was what upset Rose and called the fallout.

Last Friday I finally finished rebonding them indoors after 5 days of dates. They were together for several hours, with grooming, snuggling, flopping, eating next to each other etc etc etc. They looked 100% bonded! Put them outside and 5 mins later they had a massive fight, thankfully I managed to stop before injuries occurred but they were really going for each other :( I have no idea, I put them in half of the enclosure (Alf's half), the floor had been scrubbed, everything had been neutralised etc and they still fought. After seperating them I put them back in the dog crate indoors, in which they'd been bonded, and they were 100% perfect, showing loads of affection to each other! :?:roll:

I'm very reluctant to rebond in a hurry, seen as we tried a few times to put them outside and they fought each time with each fight getting worse. The environment was totally neutral, and the fights had no warning whatsoever. Alfie has been under so much stress recently with his tooth root problems, he does not deserve being set upon like that :( He actually seems happier WITHOUT Rose, even though this seems strange, he is so much more relaxed and visibly happier.

The worst part of this is that they'll be alone over winter and I hate that idea :cry: Last winter they were so lovey-dovey, they had a pretty good relationship apart from Rose being a moody cow at times, poor Alfie, and they really snuggled each other when it was cold.

Sad post :( I feel really bad for them, even though I can't really do anything. I'm dreading when it gets to -2/-3 outside. Dee is a single bun but even she is coming indoors because it's so cold. Can I do anything to help them in terms of staying snug? If it wasn't such a great temp difference I'd try and bring them in to have some snuggles every day but I obviously can't do that. God, I hate the idea of 3 single rabbits :(

Is it possible to keep them in over winter? Since they act 100% bonded inside then try them again in the spring? Would your single bun bond with any of them?
Not sure what else to suggest :(

Is it possible to keep them in over winter? Since they act 100% bonded inside then try them again in the spring? Would your single bun bond with any of them?
Not sure what else to suggest :(

My single bunny is coming indoors tomorrow and even though she and rose are spayed, the scent of each other drives them mad! When Alfie and Rose were bonded, Dee used to go out in the run and even though it was on the other side of the lawn, Rose would smell her and start chasing and pulling Alfie's fur. I can't really have them inside because of that, and the fact I have two cats who don't mind Dee but I don't trust them fully with A + R :( Gah, I can't help but feel helpless even though I've tried everything I can think of! Even when alf and roo are side by side, they try and snuggle through the bars. It's only when they are in the same space that it goes wrong...

5 days is not long enough to bond rabbits. Moving them after 5 days is probably why they are fighting. Even if they look bonded, you need to keep them in their pen/neutral territory for a week or so and then only after a couple of days with absolutely no fur pulling, chasing or scraps, could you think about increasing the size of their area. Eventually you can move them, but putting them straight into their shed/territory (even if it's been neutralised) will most likely cause a big backwards step. You need to put them in the shed, in the pen you have been bonding them in, and then slowly increase the size if they are ok.

If you think the bond won't work at all, and it sounds like you think that, then perhaps it would be best to just get them a friend each of their own.

Off the top of my head I think it took me a good month (maybe longer) to bond my two. But I was really scared they would hurt each other so took it really slowly.

Back