• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do i choose a friend?

LauraLou1982

Warren Scout
hello! :wave:

whats the best way to chose a friend for my little lady? shes spayed and on her own, now shes recovered I want to get her a friend. She was with two aggressive boys who wasn't very nice to her and kept in a tiny cage and she was very subdued and quiet when we got her. Now shes put weight on and looks fab, has really come out of herself and gets excited when she sees me coming! (probably for the food and veg but hey ho lol)

I don't want her to lonely though! I want to get her a friend shes gonna bond with but dont have a clue how to do this? I dont want to get bunny that hates her or she hates?

Any advice whats the best way to approach this? I have no experience in bonding either!

Probably best to get a rescue to help you choose a suitable male and then have a little date - and if they get on then the rescue may offer a bonding service and bond them for you.

Best place to start is local rescues.

Simple!

I think the best way is too look around. When I got my rabbit (she is a giant continental dark steel) I got it from a breeder called Julia's giants. She is so loving and is best friends with my dog (cocker spaniel) however unless you don't want a giant rabbit which grows to the same size as a toddler I would say go for a breeder which sells rabbits which have been bonded with other rabbit or have been living in the same hutch with other rabbits so when you bring the rabbit home it doesn't take it out of its normal routine and so you know it can be trusted with another rabbit, hope it helps:)

Best wishes, Rosie rabbit :wave:

I think the best way is too look around. When I got my rabbit (she is a giant continental dark steel) I got it from a breeder called Julia's giants. She is so loving and is best friends with my dog (cocker spaniel) however unless you don't want a giant rabbit which grows to the same size as a toddler I would say go for a breeder which sells rabbits which have been bonded with other rabbit or have been living in the same hutch with other rabbits so when you bring the rabbit home it doesn't take it out of its normal routine and so you know it can be trusted with another rabbit, hope it helps:)

Best wishes, Rosie rabbit :wave:

I'm sorry but no good breeder would keep breeding adults in bonded pairs. They would also not split up a retired bonded pair to sell, as splitting a pair unnecessarily is extremely stressful for rabbits. If a breeder does either of these, they aren't putting the welfare of their animals first.

Litters, of course, are should always be kept together for the first 8 weeks +.

Some rescues will take you bunny on 'dates' so they can choose their own partner and will also bond for you :wave:

hmmm yes I think I need bunny dates!thanks guys! I have contacted rescues before for rescuing though and havent found them very approachable...dont suppose anyone could recommend one in the kent area? I dont mind travelling?

So would they put them together and see f they get on? She was so scared and nervous I dont want her hurt again! Am probably a bit over protective!

hmmm yes I think I need bunny dates!thanks guys! I have contacted rescues before for rescuing though and havent found them very approachable...dont suppose anyone could recommend one in the kent area? I dont mind travelling?

So would they put them together and see f they get on? She was so scared and nervous I dont want her hurt again! Am probably a bit over protective!

People in rescues may come across as a little blunt in responses, but they only have a small amount of time to answer to emails etc. as they're all so busy. Hopefully someone with experience around Kent will see this, but you could post in Rabbit Chat asking for rescues local to Kent.

There really is no way to guarantee that two rabbits will bond, buns who have had previous partners still may not accept another. The best way to judge is by dating as others have said, and also knowing the personalities of the bun.you could take on a baby, who could later become aggressive and fall put with your bun, as you have no guarantee of its personality. A rescue will be able to tell you which buns willbebest suited.

Whereabouts in Kent are you? I had trouble finding a good rescue there too, I got fern from RSPCA south godstone but they were terrible with communication (on the day I went to collect her they told me she had been attacked by anther rabbit and wouldn't be ready for another week and why was I there? Never mind no one had told me and I had booked the day off work and driven half an hour!!) and they also wouldn't help with bonding. I have heard good things about GBH resue in beckenham though

I know of some rescues in Kent. I haven't personally use them yet but most of them i've heard good things from. If you're interested I'll find the links for you.

Definitely try and get on board with a rescue, and be flexible in your approach as the boy that you see and fall in love with might not be the same one that your little lady chooses :D

If you feel a bit anxious about it too its better to leave the rescue to it. I watch bonding every week at Hopper Haven as I can watch objectively, but find it hard to bond my own rabbits:oops:

Thats lovely thanks guys! Im near Beckenham so will have to look GBH up, thanks!

Elena, that would be fab if you dont mind?

Thanks guys your responses are really appreciated!

Back