• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ticks

Bunnie

Warren Scout
On Monday morning at 10:15am my bunny Snuggles died of a brain tick, I am now looking at getting a pair of rabbits from lady online, but I want to know how common deadly ticks are, my snugsie was a hutch rabbit but came in at night during winter, if I had my new bunnies as house/ cage rabbits would they be less likely to get ticks? And does anyone know of any good cheap rabbit insurances my previous bunny was with "help u cover" the only cheap one that does a deal for more than one bunny is "pets at home insurance" does anyone have a cheaper or better insurance they can recomend?

I am really sorry to hear you lost your rabbit. I have never heard of brain ticks and I have never been aware of any rabbits of mine having ticks at all so they can't be common and I wouldn't worry about other future rabbits getting them.

When your rabbit lives outside during the winter, it is not good to bring them indoors due to the difference in temperature. This can make bunny ill. I hope you find 2 lovely rabbits, maybe get them from a Rescue already neutered and bonded?

I have had a read about EC and it says that other animals can get it; when we took her to the vet they said our dog wouldn't be able to get what she had, although snuggles did do some of the same things, like paralysis of legs as she didn't stand she dragged herself along by her front paws. When we use bring her inside for the night we kept her in our utility room (coldest room of the house, use to be a very cold garage) and we never have the heating on so it wouldn't of been that big of a change in temperature.

I have had a read about EC and it says that other animals can get it; when we took her to the vet they said our dog wouldn't be able to get what she had, although snuggles did do some of the same things, like paralysis of legs as she didn't stand she dragged herself along by her front paws. When we use bring her inside for the night we kept her in our utility room (coldest room of the house, use to be a very cold garage) and we never have the heating on so it wouldn't of been that big of a change in temperature.

It sounds as though it was EC, I expect the Vet said 'brain parasite' and you misheard it as 'brain tick'. An understandable error in the circumstances :cry:

EC is generally spread from Doe to Kits at birth or from a Rabbit ingesting food/hay contaminated by the urine of a Rabbit with EC. EC spores are shed in the urine.

Might be worth checking with the vet what it was exactly, they will have it on their records. As Jane said, it may be EC.

It is worth mentioning that the area the rabbit was living in needs to be properly disinfected if possible (virkon or bleach rinsed off after, not that 'pet-safe' stuff) to prevent any new rabbits catching what your bun had.

I don't have any advice to give, just wanted to say I'm so sorry you lost Snuggles :cry: xx

Back