• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gumtree bunnys.....

moi

Mama Doe
and other sites like that. Would I be silly to rehome a bunny from one of them? The reason I ask is I have taken in a bunny last minute, and its going to take me a long while to save for a large enclosure. So there is no way a rescue would let me have one of there buns if I dont meet the minimum requirements. So I thought if I 'rescue' a bunny from gumtree which has lived a life of solitude in a small cage, that coming to live with us would still be a step up until we get better accomadation. Does that make sense? x

Also alot of those bunnys will end up in shelters or negleted so its kind of a rescue mission x

I feel that anything is better than nothing - and when we picked up Rosie from a preloved free ad' she was temporarily in a small hutch (albeit bigger than her rat cage :roll:) - but if money is tight at the minute could you afford it if the bun needed immediate vet treatment? That would be my only 'stopper' if you see what I mean.

Yeah I see what you mean, I would add bun to my insurance and an emergrncys would be funded by the lovelyoverdraft! :) I didn't plan on getting another bun but I've helped out a poorly young girl in doing so. Just don't want him to be lonely c

I honestly would not take in another Rabbit from anywhere if you do not, as yet, have the space to accommodate the Rabbits you already have

I know it is heartbreaking to see so many Rabbits advertised on Gumtree etc. But it can be all too easy to get in above our heads. I would concentrate on the Rabbits you already have. Save to upgrade their accommodation and probably stop looking on the Freead Sites !!

We cant save them all :cry:

I too would advise caution given the circumstances you describe. I have rehomed quite a few from free-ads and I've been lucky with most but some have had health issues.

Izzy had a liver torsion (could happen to any bunny even one that appears healthy). I didn't have insurance in those days but she had only been with me 22 days and could have cost over £1k if I had got her to the right vet early enough to save her.

Shadow and Binky were rehomed to me via a few threads on here (they were on ebay). Shadow had various health problems which cost the insurance excess plus a few dentals.

Even getting a rabbit from a reputable rescue with a clean bill of health doesn't guarantee they won't start costing fairly soon - Rudy cost about £200 in dental/resulting stasis only about a month after I adopted him.

Sad as it is seeing a bun on their own in the shorter term, I'd also say the priority for the available funds is the accommodation and focus on a companion when funds are available.

What would you do if they didn't bond? Would you be able to get a friend for each bun? If you wait until you're in a position to get a rescue bun then you could try another if they didn't bond. With a Gumtree bun you'd be stuck with them.

You'd also have to save up for their vaccinations and neutering before you could bond them, and any potential health problems. That's a lot of money that you could put towards accommodation.

I know what you mean and would agree only if you know for sure the bunny is neglected. Sometimes you just know that these bunnies not only live in too smaller homes for them but also get no attention what so ever poor diet ect. Thing is with the gumtree like sites is that the probability that it will go to an equal clueless person who will also get bored of the bunny is quite high IMO, so not so perfect set up but lots of love and good food v none of them I know what I would go for if I was the bunny!

Save to upgrade their accommodation and probably stop looking on the Freead Sites !!

not thiers... his. My other buns have a massive outhouse and the run of the house, and a huge shed with 2 very large runs attached. I guess I just dont like the thought of him being lonely. Being used to pairs and then seeing him all on his todd just seems odd.

If anyones wondering why I took a bun on before getting the accomadtion its because my auntie gave me a call as her Niece has an incurable illness and the rescues around her way were all full. Such a brave girl with so much on her plate I thought id give her one less thing to worry about x

I know what you mean and would agree only if you know for sure the bunny is neglected. Sometimes you just know that these bunnies not only live in too smaller homes for them but also get no attention what so ever poor diet ect. Thing is with the gumtree like sites is that the probability that it will go to an equal clueless person who will also get bored of the bunny is quite high IMO, so not so perfect set up but lots of love and good food v none of them I know what I would go for if I was the bunny!

Some of them say 'does not come with cage/hutch..... whats it been living in :shock:

Some of them say 'does not come with cage/hutch..... whats it been living in :shock:

Usually the seller is wanting to free up space for the Rabbits they are breeding. They want rid of the Rabbit, not the hutch/cage space he/she occupied

I remember you posting about getting your new rabbit and the story, good on you for taking him on :thumb:

if I were you I'd wait till you can afford a setup you are happy with for Timmy and another bun, then approach a rescue then to take on another bun. Then if there's problems bonding they can help or even try other buns until a good match is found. If you get another bun via gumtree or elsewhere if Timmy and new bun won't bond you'll be stuck with 2 singles or have to get 2 new partners for them. Plus you won't have to spay/neuter from rescue and it will be vaccinated, which may not be the case with a gumtree bun.

I remember you posting about getting your new rabbit and the story, good on you for taking him on :thumb:

if I were you I'd wait till you can afford a setup you are happy with for Timmy and another bun, then approach a rescue then to take on another bun. Then if there's problems bonding they can help or even try other buns until a good match is found. If you get another bun via gumtree or elsewhere if Timmy and new bun won't bond you'll be stuck with 2 singles or have to get 2 new partners for them. Plus you won't have to spay/neuter from rescue and it will be vaccinated, which may not be the case with a gumtree bun.

Very true.... if I look on there anymore someone come slap me! lol x

What would you do if they didn't bond? Would you be able to get a friend for each bun? If you wait until you're in a position to get a rescue bun then you could try another if they didn't bond. With a Gumtree bun you'd be stuck with them.

You'd also have to save up for their vaccinations and neutering before you could bond them, and any potential health problems. That's a lot of money that you could put towards accommodation.

This. And if money is an issue, taking on a neglected bun with unknown health status is a big risk. If the condition starts fewer than 15 days into the policy, it is a pre-existing condition. And insurance doesn't cover preventable illnesses - part of the t&cs is that the animal is well cared for and up to date on vaccs etc, so I don't think they would cover anything caused due to neglect.

I don't look. I can't help so there is no use in looking, it just makes me sad.

Our Smokey was a Gumtree bun.
Was looking for a mate for a stray we found Mabel.
And stupidly looked and their was Smokey.
Once I saw his picture there was turning back as they wanted rid of him
asap.Also he never had a name.
Collected him and never got near the house .Just handed over the fence.
He was bitten all over and very grumpy.But with lots of love he is by far the
the friendliest and cuddliest bun I have ever had.:love:
Mabel went to the bridge and now bonded with Molly.

Our Smokey was a Gumtree bun.
Was looking for a mate for a stray we found Mabel.
And stupidly looked and their was Smokey.
Once I saw his picture there was turning back as they wanted rid of him
asap.Also he never had a name.
Collected him and never got near the house .Just handed over the fence.
He was bitten all over and very grumpy.But with lots of love he is by far the
the friendliest and cuddliest bun I have ever had.:love:
Mabel went to the bridge and now bonded with Molly.

Over the fence, blimey some people are cold :(

Glad he got a loving home xx

I wouldn't, you just don't know what you are getting. If you've got the space, cash and emotional strength yes, but if you are short on any you are better waiting. It could go fine, or the 'no way she could be pregnant' girl gives birth to kits a week later, or is actually a boy, or has had such a poor diet needs a teeth op the next month, or treating for mites.

I'm not saying there is a guarantee of health if you go to a rescue but they have generally seen a vet at least once for vaccs or neutering and have been in care for a few weeks so health/behaviour issues have shown up. Plus, rescues are much less likely to lie to your face just to get rid of the rabbit asap.

Back