• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breeding Advice

Melb4054

New Kit
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong category.

I have recently rehomed some rabbits due to the lady/breeder having a disabled son to care for and no longer having the time to care for them, breed them, show them etc

I am really interested in breeding and showing rabbits (I already do this with my dogs!) and wondered if anyone could help me to get started.

Through google, I have found the following (please correct me if wrong):
- put the doe into the bucks hutch for 5-10 minutes. Stay with them if possible. Remove doe if she seems aggressive or trying to escape the buck
- best way to tell if she is pregnant is palpation. This is easiest at 2 weeks or more after become pregnant.

I was just wondering if there was anything else I need to know. All rabbits are friendly, healthy etc so none are aggressive or 'not to be bred'

Once the kits are born, can they live together until either sold/put into own hutch for showing? Or do I need to transfer them to separate hutches once weened?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't actually have any advice, I just wanted to perhaps warn you that a lot of people here are kind of against breeding and selling rabbits because there are so many rabbits in rescues who need homes already. Breeding would just create more and take away homes for potential rescue bunnies.

I don't know anything about showing either! :roll:

Hi thanks for your replies,

I should also point out that I regularly rehome rabbits myself so am aware of what unfortunately does happen to many rabbits. I have 6 rabbits in total. 3 of which are family pets, but 2 of the 3 that I have just adopted are a rung breeding pair and one is the most beautiful lion head.

The reason I would like to breed rabbits is to produce something worthy of showing. Not to keep producing litters in order to just make money. I would rather keep the whole litter than sell them to bad homes.

But if I was to let my doe have a litter, I would like to do it properly which is why I hoped people could shed some light.

Hi thanks for your replies,

I should also point out that I regularly rehome rabbits myself so am aware of what unfortunately does happen to many rabbits. I have 6 rabbits in total. 3 of which are family pets, but 2 of the 3 that I have just adopted are a rung breeding pair and one is the most beautiful lion head.

The reason I would like to breed rabbits is to produce something worthy of showing. Not to keep producing litters in order to just make money. I would rather keep the whole litter than sell them to bad homes.

But if I was to let my doe have a litter, I would like to do it properly which is why I hoped people could shed some light.

People here would argue that if you know what happens to many rabbits then it would be irresponsible to breed more.

I know that some breeders do find genuinely good homes for their babies, but we are more about rescuing rabbits than breeding them.

There should not be a 'backlash'.

You came here to ask for advice and just because most people do not agree with Breeding it does not mean we cant be civil :)

If after careful consideration about the consequences of breeding your Rabbits, both for you personally and for the wider situation regarding the amount of unwanted Rabbits already here, you decide to proceed then do have a look at the links in my previous post. Make sure you fully research everything before you start, especially the genetic history of the Rabbits you intend to breed from. A responsible breeder would keep papers for all their Stud and he/she should be able to provide you with details of your Rabbit's parents/grand-parents.

Remember, by breeding you are bringing lives into the world for who's welfare you will be responsible for all of their lives. That includes any you rehome.

Back