• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another day of neglect inc. pregnant doe :(

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
Yesterday I picked up poor Honey (who is doing fab)

Today I went to collect 2 bunnies - Male and Female - being kept together in a 4ft g pig hutch, so very low and not deep. I was told on the phone that they were 5 months old which was clearly a lie as he told me she had had a litter every month for the past 3 months :cry: he said "they all died because we didn't want to look after more rabbits" :evil: DON'T KEEP THEM TOGETHER THEN!!!! :censored: There was an empty hutch next to this one so there was no excuse!!!

No hay, no straw, just cheap wilko's muesli and damp smelly woodshavings (the smell made my eyes water). I asked when bun last had kits and they said at the beginning of the month, so she must be around 2 weeks gone, maybe more. She is quite thin but her tummy is very full :cry:

Have separated them and they are very happily munching on hay. They seem to have very weak muscles in their back legs, esp the larger lop male :( when he stretches forward to hop his legs quiver :cry: i'm guessing they never came out of that hutch. Again extremely long nails, but they were so stressed after the journey that I didn't want to make it even worse esp for the girlie given her condition.

Here are some pics:

Lady bun

Zooooooming

Terribly long nails :(

Handsome boy

:( fingers crossed they both feel better soon

I just can't fathom the stupidity of some people. Glad they are safe now. Hope both buns just get stronger each day x

How stupid can some people be?
It really makes me sad to see people treat animals the way they do.
They're very lucky you came along, they're both very cute. :love:

Oh dear poor buns :cry:
So glad you have them now.
Not sure if an emergency spay is a possibility?

Awwww...the poor lovely bubs! :love:
So glad they are with you now. :) Good for you getting them out of there. xxxx

Well done you for rescuing these poor bunnies.

I wish I had the resources for more. I'm not knowledgeable enough to take on poorly buns, but would love to be able to free up some rescue spaces.

I really can't believe how incredibly stupid people are about bunnies. Surely even the most bunny ignorant people have heard the phrase "breed like rabbits". That poor doe, and buck, - bet they can't believe their bunny luck.:love:

The male looks quite good, both look much better than the one I got on Sunday. She'd been kept with the male, who had died

Yeah they aren't super skinny (esp the male who was bossy and prob ate most of the food, the doe is more on the thin side considering her tummy is a lot of baby bulge) but they were just given a bowl of muesli in the morning, no hay or anything else through the day :(

Did ring up my vet about spaying, but he said if she gave birth on the 2nd like they said (but who knows, they didn't exactly tell me the truth) then she is too far along. I don't know if other vets say different though. Will take her down for a check up later, just worried about stressing her out :(

Will get him castrated once he's settled and in better health, still really concerned about his wobbly legs and lack of bouncing ability but guess that will get better when he builds his muscles up. At least they love hay, topped them up twice last night!

Yesterday I picked up poor Honey (who is doing fab)

Today I went to collect 2 bunnies - Male and Female - being kept together in a 4ft g pig hutch, so very low and not deep. I was told on the phone that they were 5 months old which was clearly a lie as he told me she had had a litter every month for the past 3 months :cry: he said "they all died because we didn't want to look after more rabbits" :evil: DON'T KEEP THEM TOGETHER THEN!!!! :censored: There was an empty hutch next to this one so there was no excuse!!!

No hay, no straw, just cheap wilko's muesli and damp smelly woodshavings (the smell made my eyes water). I asked when bun last had kits and they said at the beginning of the month, so she must be around 2 weeks gone, maybe more. She is quite thin but her tummy is very full :cry:

Have separated them and they are very happily munching on hay. They seem to have very weak muscles in their back legs, esp the larger lop male :( when he stretches forward to hop his legs quiver :cry: i'm guessing they never came out of that hutch. Again extremely long nails, but they were so stressed after the journey that I didn't want to make it even worse esp for the girlie given her condition.

I don't know how you do this without doing a murder!!! or at least a punch to the face!!
I'm so glad they are now safe with you there very lucky buns

I feel so sorry for both of them, but the poor doe's story has really gotten to me - three litters in as many months, all dead and another one the way :cry: and you say she is so thin too...almost beggars belief given you say she has a big baby bunny bulge too :(

I hope she manages to have this litter and they all live and then they are both neutered & spayed and can then live happily ever after :thumb:

Back