• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maia and Wafer have dug a warren...

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Just like the title says! It rained for a few days and when we went to see where they were, we found they dug a warren under their hutch and are now living there.
Now I don't know what to do. Should I leave them there? There are no other exits outside the net that we could find and they look to be very comfortable, away from the cold and rain. It's dry in their hutch but I know a happy rabbit when I see one. I suppose they just would dig it all over again if I filled it. Advice please?

Just like the title says! It rained for a few days and when we went to see where they were, we found they dug a warren under their hutch and are now living there.
Now I don't know what to do. Should I leave them there? There are no other exits outside the net that we could find and they look to be very comfortable, away from the cold and rain. It's dry in their hutch but I know a happy rabbit when I see one. I suppose they just would dig it all over again if I filled it. Advice please?

Hello stranger :wave:

On the one hand it'd be lovely to leave their warren for them to use but the downsides of doing so are

1-Can you be certain they will not be able to burrow further and escape into the 'wild'

2- Is where they have constructed the warren likely to endanger any structural foundations

3- If either of them became unwell they would probably hide away undeground preventing you from being able to help them

The pluses being how wonderful for them to have a totally natural environment where they can behave as Rabbits should :love:

Hello Jane! :wave:

1-Can you be certain they will not be able to burrow further and escape into the 'wild'
Well, they can escape into my garden at most... where they are likely to stop for a good refill on winter salad. :lol:

2- Is where they have constructed the warren likely to endanger any structural foundations
No.

3- If either of them became unwell they would probably hide away undeground preventing you from being able to help them
This is what worries me most.

But I do love to see them behave like true rabbits. Perhaps I can keep an eye out for them. Does anyone else have experience with this?

My Eddie was a tunnel maker. As much as it was lovely seeing him be natural, we always thought it safer to fill them in. We used to put rocks down there.

They are very, very clever for digging that though. xxx

Back