• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My heart just sank...

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
George just gave me the scare of my life. he normally flops out infront of the fire place (no fire on). He looked like he had hiccups and rather fast breathing. Got on the floor with him, he has had a little run round the room and just looked at me saying 'what are you doing panicking and sitting on the floor with me??

I am still keeping an eye on him, but i dont think i will fully stop worrying based on the last couple of days. just wanted to post on here incase someone thinks i have missed any thing.

Thanks for looking at this

Bunny hiccups are odd. :? I would think that an animal who can't vomit probably couldn't get them, but it's a different reflex I suppose. I've seen Mimzy with them from time to time, they tend to pass fairly quickly.
How is George now?

I hope George is ok this morning. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, but I can understand why you'd be extra vigilant at the moment :(

Just wanted to reassure you by saying that hiccups in rabbits, although not very common, is not actually anything to worry about unless they become a regular occurrence, or tend to last for very long periods of time (hours). Even then, it doesn't necessarily mean it is anything terrible, but I would certainly consider having an x-ray done, so as to identify what is causing the hiccup episodes.

A hiccups episode is very frightening, because rabbits breath so much faster, that it can actually appear as though they may be having some sort of seizure. Hiccups in baby rabbits, especially under 2 weeks do tend to be more common. Hiccups can occur in rabbits, simply because,as in people they have a diaphragm, and is caused when the diaphragm muscle goes out of sync. Hiccups can often be ceased in rabbits by stroking them and making a fuss of them, whereas in humans, the most effective way of getting rid of them, tends to be by holding your breath.

All animals that have a diaphragm do have the capability to have hiccups. Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

Thank you for your replies, George is just fine! Naughty little bun was probably just trying to have some more mummy cuddles :roll: :lol:

Back