• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help..Poorly Bunny!

kymclayton

Young Bun
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you can help!

Crunchie has a history of gut problems and I can usually deal with this at home with oral metoclopramide, however last Sunday she became really bad, stomach pressing, not eating, drinking or pooping. Would not come out of her cage.

So I took her to the vets on Monday, and the vet (who is pretty good with rabbits) said that she is in statis again, there are no obstructions and her teeth are great for a double maned lion head.

I have been giving her Metoclopramide 1.7mls twice per day, and carprieve injection once daily.

She seemed to be on the up until today...she is not coming out of her cage again, will not eat even her favorite hay. She even nipped me this morning, which is very unusual for her.

I am a nurse and I am at work until Wednesday. Is there anything else you can think to help me get her through this!?

Please send vibes for Crunchie!

Thank you in advance!

K

I am sorry that Crunchie is ill :cry: She really needs to go back to the Vet for some diagnostics. She probably needs to be hospitalised.

IV fluids and syringe feeds are almost certainly an essential now. Has she had any fecal output ? Is she urinating normally with no sign of straining or 'sludgy' wee ?

I really would not delay in getting her back to the Vet.

Thank you,

She has had some poop today, nothing compared to usual though. Her urine is the same as normal, however decreased due to not drinking enough.

She is so bad with syringe feeding, that I feel I am putting her under more stress trying to even her to meds down her. Dont get me wrong I do get her meds down her but I dont want to stress her out too much.

Thanks again

K

I agree with Jane that it would be best to see a vet for further tests and intensive care.

I am not sure if you could give infacol/gripe water in case of gas? I would only do this with the approval of a vet though after examination.

If she is not eating or drinking and you are unable to syringe feed she needs to go back to the Vet tonight. Can you contact your Vet's out of hours service ?

Thanks guys. I have just managed to get some water down her through syringe. I havent got any of the rescue food that I used last time. Is there anything else I can give her...like mass up her pellets or something?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

And yes BerryJane they are such a worry! I hate it because she cannot tell me whats wrong. I am used to fixing people in my job and feel useless not been able to fit her x

When Rolo was poorly a couple of weeks ago, we managed to get some mashed banana into him and I also mixed some pellets with warm water and mashed them for him.

It was incredibly messy but he did take some.

Hope your little one will pick up soon xx

Thanks Roly Poly. I have some of her pellets mashing as we speak. Hope she doesnt hate me too much fot giving them to her! Fingers crossed she pulls through the night xx

Ive just had some poop from her. 2 very large (for her) soft poops. About the size of 5p/10p piece. So we have some movement. Managed to get some food and water down her. Along with her meds. She seems a lot happier now. Fingers crossed we are through the worse and she keeps getting better! X

Back