• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying, how old?

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
What age can female rabbits get spayed?, we want to have a friend for benji and a fridnd of mine recently took in a pregnant doe which the owner didnt want as it was his childs bunny andcthey couldnt cope! To be fair they were told they had two females, anyway babies are now 5 seeks old and went to see them snd have fallen in love with a black one with a little white nose and foot, had a little look and we thinkmits a female but obviously still quite young to tell, I cant remember what age does can be done, is it around 5 months. ? If it turns out to be a boy im still thinking of eventually bonding them as he/she is so cute and benji is so chilled, plus itsvthe runt ofvthe litter and my friendcwants him to got a homecwhere she can keep an eye, dont panic he will be at least 8 weeks we he/she comes here possibly older as its giny although eating food and hay well

Yeah 5/6 months, though I once had one nethie girlie done at just over 4months as she was super hormonal and vets said when they opened her up she was very well developed.

Keep in mind that it's more likely for two rabbits of the same sex to fight so ideally you want to go for the opposite. You also need to have a plan for what you'll do if they won't bond. The other option - do they want to keep the mum? If not she might be a good candidate as you could get her spayed once the babies have weaned and bond quite quick instead of having 3-4 months of waiting. I know babies are cute but they grow up quick so you only get a few weeks before they look like an adult anyway!

Keep in mind that it's more likely for two rabbits of the same sex to fight so ideally you want to go for the opposite. You also need to have a plan for what you'll do if they won't bond. The other option - do they want to keep the mum? If not she might be a good candidate as you could get her spayed once the babies have weaned and bond quite quick instead of having 3-4 months of waiting. I know babies are cute but they grow up quick so you only get a few weeks before they look like an adult anyway!

I have a group of 8 all bonded, 3 boys and 5 girl's ive not had a problem bonding either sex and they are mainly bunnies that people havent wanted anymore so theres a chance that I could put her in with them if not I have room for her to be a single indoor bun too. They are keeping mum for their single male and keeping the other two babiescaswell hopefullyas a pair once ddone.
Waiting isnt a problem as benji cant be castratedcas yet as he needs to put on weight and his tummy needs to settle so im in no rush to bond.

When to get her spayed will also depend on her weight, so if the baby is the runt of the litter, you might need to wait a few months extra until she is the right weight.

Some vets do from 5 months, my vet wouldn't spay OR neuter until 6 months. Although I had a male done, I lied and said he was 6 months, they neutered him at about 4.5 months.

When to get her spayed will also depend on her weight, so if the baby is the runt of the litter, you might need to wait a few months extra until she is the right weight.

She is tiny which does worry me and is also wby my friend wants me to have her. We are in no rush to bond them or neuter them and have the room to keep them seperate plus my vet is great and I trust him with my buns dog and cats

Back